Fusion Delight (San Leandro)

Cross-posted at

excerpt:

The menu reflects current trends, too. While you can certainly still find classic dim sum houses in Hong Kong, the newest and buzziest establishments churn out sausage buns that look like wiener dogs, fish balls transformed into penguins, and bird-shaped pineapple dumplings served in an elegant cage. There are restaurants dedicated to Sanrio characters such as Hello Kitty and Gudetama. (At the Gudetama-themed restaurant, a bao depicting the lazy egg character even barfs up yellow custard when you squeeze its stomach.) It’d be tempting to say it’s a trend driven purely by Instagram, but Hong Kongers’ obsession with cuteness isn’t new. It merely follows in the footsteps — presumably adorable, anthropomorphic, blushing, and giggling footsteps — of Taiwan and Japan. In Japan, kawaii refers specifically to this culture of cuteness that emerged in the 1970s. And Fusion Delight is just one in a fleet of local dim sum restaurants that have taken this cute cue from Hong Kong. In San Francisco, Dragon Beaux dyes its soup dumplings in vivid shades of red, green, and yellow, and Hong Kong Lounge’s shrimp dumplings resemble little bunnies. In Oakland, the new owners of Peony serve steamed buns dressed up like teapots.

Fusion Delight
699 Lewelling Blvd., Ste. 212, San Leandro
510-895-1818
Hours: Mon.–Thu. 10 a.m.–3 p.m., 5 p.m.–9:30 p.m.; Fri. 10 a.m.–3 p.m., 5 p.m.–10 p.m.; Sat.–Sun. 9:30 a.m.–3 p.m., 5 p.m.–10 p.m.
Cash, all major credit cards

Sample Menu
Piggy buns … $4.50
Purple yam balls … $5.25
Baked BBQ pork bun … $5.25
Durian puff … $6.50

2 Likes

Anything is better with a piggy face.

It’s all good. Be cool!!!

Well, @Chandavkl will need to make a trip there then.

Call me old school, but I’d rather have a plate of delicious food that looks a pile of puke than bad-tasting Instagram-ready food.

Couldn’t resist, sorry.

I guess there is IG-ready dimsum that vomits:

https://nerdist.com/vomiting-buns-are-the-newest-food-trend-2/

Anyone else been there for dinner? The menu is pages and pages of photos.

I asked the server for recommendations and he pushed things like BBQ pork, chow mein, and, surprisingly, Sichuan dishes. I got the ginger frog in clay pot, which was good, but was sautéed and wasn’t served in a clay pot. Good wok hei on the A choy.

Dang, that was quick. @shanghaikid reports that it has rebranded as a hot pot place called Fusion Pot.