Fuchsia Dunlop's Land of Fish and Rice

It took many tries and different recipes before I felt comfortable making xiao long bao. My first batch in 1999 were 100% inedible. My last batch, in 2010, were 80% leak free. My expectations for Dunlop’s Shanghai Pot Stickers, aka sheng jian mantou or sheng jian bao (SJB), were low and I promised myself if anything was remotely edible I would consider it a success and a learning experience.

SJB are traditionally pleat side up pork buns and not too juicy, and the ones popular in Shanghai right now are pleat down, and filled with spoonfuls of soup. Dunlop’s recipe uses a total of 4 oz of gelatinized soup, so even though it’s pleat down, I didn’t expect it to be too juicy.

Soup/aspic
Dunlop offers two possibilities for the gelatinized soup that makes the buns juicy— a stock that uses gelatin from pig parts or a quick version using stock and gelatin leaves. The entire recipe is a lot of work, and challenging to be successful with, so I wouldn’t recommend spending all that time making pork jelly unless you happen to have spare parts parts lying around. I used a reduced stock made from a Thanksgiving turkey carcass and it had the same texture as pork jelly I’ve made in the past.

Dough
Dunlop calls for a mix of high and low gluten Chinese flour. Carolyn Phillips notes inconsistencies in Chinese flours and recommends a Korean brand instead: Deahan Polar Bear Brand. Their bread flour has 14% gluten and their all purpose has 10.5%. The blue one in my photo is high gluten (in korean, it says its for pizza and bread); green is low gluten (in Korean it says for dumpling and noodles).

The dough was easy to make, by hand, on a granite countertop. I had to add lots of flour to the surface to keep the dough from being sticky. It was very soft.

Meat
The recipe calls for 10oz of minced pork belly. I left my meat cleaver at home, so it took me over half an hour to cut the pork with a small santoku into 1/8 inch cubes. In retrospect, putting the slab of pork in the freezer for about an hour would have helped chopping a lot.

The meat filling uses 3 tbs of water that was flavored with ginger and scallions, presumably with solids discarded. This seemed like too much extra liquid.

Assembly
I used up all the dough and had filling leftover for one or two more buns. The buns fit snugly into an12" cast iron skillet.

Dunlop’s recipe says it makes 20 buns, and to use 30g of prepared dough and 25-30g of filling for each one. My finished dough ball was 500g, so something must be off in one of her instructions (20x30g=600g).

The filling melts as it sits at room temperature, so I’d recommend using maybe 1/4 at a time and keeping the rest in the fridge.

Sheng jian casserole
The finished product tasted good, and unlike failed XLB, everything was edible and enjoyed by guests. So, mission accomplished! But it went wrong in so many ways that it’s tough to nail down what to adjust in the future.

The pork didn’t stick together and the juice completely leaked out. Next time, I think I need to cut the pork more finely, maybe toss half in the food processor.

The buns, which I probably overcrowded, lifted from the pan before I steamed them, but stuck after steaming. They also for the most part stuck together. Next time, I’ll shake the pan while they steam.

So much steam came out of the pan that I had to clear the countertop. It looked like we were filming a Michael Jackson video.

The bottom of the buns were fluffy tufts, and the tops were thin. I wonder if I should have rolled out the dough like XLB— thick middles and thinner outer edges since they’ll be crimped up into balls, crimp side hitting the pan. Perhaps related, they seemed overcrowded.

On the upside, I have a ton of turkey gelatin leftover and, in other news, Dunlop’s simple recipe for cucumbers with tianmianjiang is a great snack and also works well with Korean radishes.

5 Likes

While I have never cooked shui zhu yu (water boiled fish), I have been almost always disappointed by renditions in the US.

I don’t have Dunlop’s book, nor ever trying to make my XLB yet (it’s on my to do list in 2017!!) but personally I preferred XLB with its finer skin, steamed in a dim sum basket with a pool of water in a pot.

Sheng Jian Bao is more difficult to control the heat but should be easier to make with the thicker skin. From your photo, it seems you used a cast iron plate with a curve bottom. How about a flat bottom cookery and leaving space so buns won’t stick to each other. I don’t know if it’s better with a non stick pan.

And thanks for the detailed description, it’s interesting to see the cooking in progress.

Please let us know about your future experiments with XLB! I believe it was Andrea Nguyen’ dough recipe that wound up working for me. It’s a fun learning experience, and if you’re successful, you can play with non traditional seasonings.

I used a flat bottom cast iron Lodge skillet. I’m not used to using an induction cooktop, so had an especially tough time time controlling heat. About 1/4 of them were too charred, but even those were redeemable on the tops and insides.

Yeah, you’re supposed to have them touching, not sure why, so will space them out next time and make two batches.

Years ago I lived with an induction cooktop briefly. I didn’t make baos. But the heating was different, I had a hard time initially controlling even simple things like boiling water for noodles. I’d venture a guess that its the efficiency of induction that cooked your buns faster and charred all the buns. The way water boils is a little different (more intense to my naked eye). So the resulting steam from the bouillon steamed inside the bun might made it easier for the buns to burst.

Gas I’d think would solve a lot of the encountered issues.

Made a batch of the Nanjing saltwater duck today. I have to say, its excellent. I didn’t have cinnamon so I skipped that. But even with the rest of the ingredients the flavors danced.

I got some nice chicken feather vegetable today at Oakland’s Yuen Hop noodle shop for $1.49/lb. I also saw some a few weeks ago at Marina Food Market in San Mateo.

4 Likes