Fruit curries

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/strawberry-curry?utm_source=Gastro+Obscura+Weekly+E-mail&utm_campaign=9730311c91-GASTRO_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2023_06_06&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2418498528-9730311c91-67058485&mc_cid=9730311c91&mc_eid=d52c630434. Who knew? Intriguing but I won’t be rushing out to sample it.

1 Like

Hey. Totally unusual, but I may try them. I don’t think I will go out of my way to get them though. I used to dislike the idea of salty flavor in my ice cream, but after trying a few times, I am ok. I suppose the same here… maybe I will get used to fruit curries – or not.

I would absolutely try it. I’ve used strawberries in chutney and apples in sabzi, so I can imagine fruit in a curry would work. Some of them in the article seemed not all that surprising - plantain and jackfruit, for example. Out of curiosity, I put “fruit + curry” into the search engine in Archana’s Kitchen (lots and lots of regional Indian recipes!) and got back a lots of recipes:

1 Like

As “Amandarama” pointed out and I believe the Article states it is not unusual to use Fruits in savory Curries at all. Not just in India either, the Caribbean, Southeast Asia even Japan also use Fruit in Curries/Stews.

When I was in Sri Lanka I attended a cooking class and we made a mango curry. The mango wasn’t fully ripe and using mustard seeds and cooking in mustard oil, took it away from a sweet fruit dish. It was delicious & I’ve made it a couple of times since. I think being used to mango chutney as an accompaniment to South Asian food helped it not seem too out there. Strawberry curry though, not sure about that.

1 Like