Frozen veg or fish dumplings in NYC?

Anybody like vegetable dumplings or fish dumplings? Finding good ones is difficult since Tian Jin at 41-41 Kissena Blvd. in Flushing stopped making them (and for that matter, I’m not sure Tian Jin is even still there anymore — I haven’t been out there lately). Places that offer 50 frozen dumplings preferred — I love having these in my freezer.

Edited to add: BTW, I’ve tried the frozen egg and chive ones at Old Captain Dumpling on 40th Rd. in Flushing but they’re not as great as Tian Jin’s were. I still might try their frozen fish ones there, though!

If you’re okay with two bags of 25.

I only buy my dumpings ready-to-eat, Ike, so I can’t help with that question. But I can confirm that the owner of Tian Jin Dumpling House, who opened on Kissena when the Golden Mall was about to be renovated, has retired. I haven’t tried dumplings at the successor shop.

Oh, and Vanessa’s.

https://www.vanessas.com/chinatown

Only place that I can think of in NYC that sells frozen fish dumplings is Old Captain’s Dumpling ( 老船长鱼饺子) in Flushing.

Surprisingly, I am almost certain there are no places in Manhattan that offers fish dumplings, fresh or frozen.

Pinch used to. But no more. It’s a shame - they were good!

It is odd that there are no fish dumplings in Manhattan (that I can think of).

If only Menupages still had their find-a-food feature. Or Chowbus’s food search worked worth a damn.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve always been fond of this place, but until now, I hadn’t been back there in many years.

They have a great deal on frozen veg dumplings, offering 40 for only $13.

However, as I expected, this is a bit of a “you get what you pay for” situation. They are not bad, but compared to the relatively fancy (defunct) Tian Jin ones in Flushing, these are more humble and old-school. They are largely cabbage with maybe a bit of celery, etc.

Not as good as a classic sesame pancake from China North, or the mysterious, delicious, slightly greasy bread item filled with glass noodles and chives – those are my faves there – but I’m still enjoying them.

I’m glad it semi-worked out! I like a busier dumpling, too.

This place in Flushing opp Golden Mall has veg dumplings and shrimp, egg, and chive ones.

There’s another place around the corner on Main that’s a smaller store that has rhenbeg ones, but I didn’t see any seafood.

But a short train ride (3:45 hrs on the “fast” train, 4:00 on the slow) from the 'burb that’s Manhattan lies the shining main city of Boston. No actual fish dumplings near South Station, I’ll admit, but worth-your-trip, flat-dumpling-like fish cakes at Winsor Dim Sum Cafe.