FROZEN TREATS: Ice Cream, Gelato, Frozen Yogurt, Popsicles, Shaved Ice, etc. ... running thread.

With summer just right around the corner, what better way to get ready than frozen treats …

What are you indulging in today?

3 Likes

I recently bought an ice cream maker so I haven’t been getting ice cream out.

However, my favorite Los Angeles area ice cream store is Saffron & Rose on Westwood Boulevard. The ice cream is delicious and the flavors are not the usual suspects.

Once when I was having ice cream there I asked the (very nice) owner where he got his almonds and pistachios as they were flavorful and fresh. He told me that they drive their truck to the nut orchards and buy directly from the farmers.

https://saffronrosepersianicecream.com/

5 Likes

Hi there, great topic, I’m ready for action on this one.

We make ice cream fairly often, it was a sheltering-in-place booster for my family.

My favorite one was the macadamia nut ice cream frozen custard. I roasted and chopped macadamia nuts, used some macadamia nut butter (from Magee’s in farmers market) and even added some macadamia nut liqueur, and some fresh vanilla from a bean. I find that using a bit of liqueur or other booze in the ice cream lowers the freezing point and makes it creamier and less crystally. I welcome your tips. We have one of those contraptions that you put in the freezer first so it makes a smaller batch, probably a plus.

My guilty pleasure is Rita’s Frozen Custard and Italian ice on Pico and Sepulveda. I’m also a big fan of the Humphry Slocumbe Secret Breakfast ice cream and their other flavors, many of which do feature actual booze. They closed up in Venice but there’s a bunch of them in the bay area if you get that way. I’m still looking for my ideal coke float in LA, so if you have some tips let me know.

PS, the spoon is for you Ipsedixit.

5 Likes

Hang tight, I’ll be right over to pick it up.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 2.30.04 PM

2 Likes

Size matters

2 Likes

Shush.

Don’t tell her that.

1 Like

Ha - I’ve had the massive banana split at Fenton’s in Oakland - just three scoops, but each seems like 3 – where did you get that ginormous scoop.

Maybe you were at Fenton’s too? Plates do match up.

1 Like

Nope, Leatherby’s.

It was the Jennifer Brownie Delight. Whoever Jennifer was, she was definitely a glutton. Glutton for punishment, if not just pure gluttony.

2 Likes

Cool spot I’ll have to try it if up that way.

2 Likes

No thoughts of making anything just yet. I do want to attempt jamaica paletas again but with way more sugar. I also look forward to delving further into The Perfect Scoop and Bravetart’s ice cream chapter.

1 Like

I would also recommend Jeni’s two books as well as “My name is ice cream” if you are looking for other good books (but there are also others)

1 Like

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 10.09.49 PM

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 10.18.45 PM

3 Likes

Lookin good where’s that one from

Churros Sundae from Mas Taco Bar.

Full disclosure, I am affiliated with the restaurant.

3 Likes

Black raspberry chip and key lime pie from gingers

3 Likes

did they have any special flavors for Cinco de Mayo?

last year the Horchata was pretty good, and the chocolate mole.

1 Like

Negative.

Those would be good.

Night is still young tho !

It’s always cinco de Mayo there

But I can’t get away from the key lime pie flavor.

That’s what free samples are for.

4 Likes