Frozen artic char

I have 2 pieces (bit less than a pound) of artic char that were in the freezer since aug 1. I’m sure it’s not as perfect as it once was so I was looking for ideas/recipes that would help ‘refreshen’ it. I do have nice spinach from the farmers market. Anything has to be low or invisible garlic due to dh who thinks he hates garlic😉

1 Like

Do you like Chinese-style? Or steaming? If you still want to eat garlic (recommended!) just press a clove or 2 separately and add to your own plate.

I steam fish all the time. Fast and easy. Love arctic char, btw. Sad that we don’t have any here and nobody wants to import or export it.

https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/chinese-steamed-fish-ginger/e4cd1b9b-3aaf-4c52-b6fd-989a347cea63

Quickly blanch the spinach and dress it with soya sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice.

2 Likes

Is somewhat spicy okay? Though I haven’t had Arctic char in awhile, I seem to recall that it plays nicely with preparations similar to those for salmon. I enjoy baked salmon in a gochujang glaze, with steamed spinach dressed in sesame oil on the side.

1 Like

Thank you both. I was leaning Asian style. All settled.

1 Like

You are certainly right - it’s a member of the salmon family and similar in many ways.

1 Like

I made a chef’s recipe a few years ago, which won a major prize at a food festival, for Arctic char. It was excellent, and used shiitake mushrooms in the prep, along with a vinaigrette, pure heaven. The char is hard to find, but since we’ve made it a few times, we have successfully subbed salmon, with great results.