Although I love fried rice, unfortunately, I do not cook rice nowadays often, and if I do it is for eating with stir fry so, so I use kokuho red rice , package left over in individually wrapped stretch tight sheets to be refrigerated for future use by microwaving . That is is not ideal for fried rice.
Here is my take on a good fried rice .
- Left over medium to long grain rice, preferably jasmine rice.
- Large cooking surface, I use my plancha which is 24 inch with 4 cooking element if I need to cook a lot so I can stir without any problem. Wok for me is fine too but my wok is not that big for this purpose.
- caramelize onions using peanut oil, add chopped garlic, meat either ground pork, or whatever. If I use meat, I always add a bit of cider vinegar ( just follow mom’s technique), chinese sausage sliced diagonally, often, I slice Costco’s lean ham to add to the chinese sausage or bacon.
4 Add vegetable ( frozen carrots, peas in a bag),
- in goes the left over separated rice , I like to add garlic powder as well to the rice, although I already have garlic that I tossed in earlier . Then, I create a well, add scrambled egg into the well, fold the rice, create another well, add oyster sauce, fold the rice in again. S/P, taste rice to correct seasoning,. add soy sauce if desired but, the light soy sauce, very little , perhaps teaspoon depending on amount of rice being cooked ,do not make the rice dark.
- just to give it a add diagonally sliced spring onions towards the end then and a a splash of sesame oil fro fragrance. To the side of the plancha, , I will scramble and egg and slice it lengthwise to garnish at the end .