Fried rice! What are your favorite ingredients and techniques?

I follow this method and these proportions with different vegetables, usually Napa cabbage, snow peas and sprouts but sometimes kimchi or whatever is in my fridge. It works very well with cold coarse bulgur instead of rice too. https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/five-treasure-fried-rice

3 Likes

Nice! I assume bulgur I s better for you than rice; less carbs or more fiber? I’ve read about using cauliflower rice, but I’ve tried it in other applications, and I’m not motivated to try it in this application.

I copied this from a body building forum, and don’t know the source, so I don’t know if it’s right;

" Glycemix Index:

Bulgur wheat has a lower glycemic index than rice. NutritionData estimates the glycemic loads of 100g of brown or white rice at 11, while the glycemic load of bulgur is 7 for the same 100g.

Nutrition Facts:

Bulgur, cooked 100g:

83%
Protein: 3

Calcium: 1%
Iron: 5%

Rice, brown, long-grain, cooked 100g:

85% Carbs, 7% Fats, 8% Protein

Cals: 111
Total fat: 1
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 5mg
Carbs: 23
Fiber: 2
Protein: 3

Calcium: 2%
Iron: 5%"

I’m in total agreement! I wonder how the yellow rice became a thing in your area? I’ve only encountered it a few times from take-out place in NC and Fl.

Lower glycemic index, yes, and to me, tastier too!

1 Like

We rarely order fried rice dining out. I do fry rice at home as a vehicle to use up extra cooked rice and re-purposing leftovers.

That said, we had a memorable fried rice dish a couple of years ago in Hong Kong. Fried rice with Conpoy (Dried Scallops), Egg Whites, and finely cut veggies. Perfect balance and great Wok Hay.

4 Likes

I wonder about the yellow as well. When I lived there (decades ago), I remember the “Chino-Cubano” places having yellow rice, but the “Chinese” places had a brown color, that I have since learned might be from “gravy master”. Fried rice where I am in California comes from a variety of cuisines, but is mostly white rice.

BTW, I was at an Asian market this morning, and looked for the Cantonese version of salted fish, but couldn’t find the “jars” referred to in some recipes. I did see these;

1 Like

My guess would be because it appeals to our enormous Hispanic population, at least if the flavor/color really does come from Goya Sazon as I suspect.

1 Like

Goya Sazon is a pretty distinctive flavor so I’m sure you are right!

And there are several! I think this is the “yellow” one!

I have these too;

Yep, your top photo with coriander and annatto is the one I mean. I can’t imagine they are using anything else given the flavor!

3 Likes

I like that one for “peas and rice” with gandules or pigeon peas. There is one very similar, same seasoning I think, but no achiote

1 Like

I usually keep it simple. Protein is either bacon and/or shrimp with water chestnuts, maybe some bean sprouts. Onion and sesame seed oil along with egg. I like a lot of egg. Does anyone else go bonkers with egg? Lol

This was a before and after pic. 8 eggs in this batch with shrimp and water chestnuts.

6 Likes

Yeah, there are the jars version:
You can try some of the vacuum packaged version where the fish meat is very soft and moist

1 Like

Something like this pic from Google images?

photo-1-61

This is the jar version. I actually saw the same image and thought about copy and paste. Yes. Here is another image.

You may able to find the vacuum package version too, which is also ready to use without the need to steaming to soften. They are soft to touch (not hard), and the package usually look like this – in the refrigerator section.

1 Like

I ordered fried rice from a generic corner chinese takeout place exactly once here in nyc, many years ago. I don’t recall if they used yellow rice but I distinctly remember being mad about the fact they obviously used frozen peas and carrots in it (which gross me out) and that it was seriously greasy.
I haven’t put concerned effort into making fried rice at home, rice just isn’t my go to.

1 Like

I think the smaller one on the left in my picture is the vacuum packed one; in response to meatn3. It says “lung shing” and “salted mackerel”, was pliable, and looks like a "“steak”. The salted red snapper on the right cost more than fresh!

Yeah, I saw the photo, but I wasn’t sure if it was hard or soft. If it feels soft, then it very easy to use.

I think that the fish is Mackeral. Lung Shing is probably the brand name. Yes, typically the soft type cost more than the dry type – pound of pound. I like Salted Mackeral. I am unfamiliar Red Snapper, but I am sure they all taste good.

1 Like

Okay, thanks! It doesn’t look like the fish in the " Why salted fish fried rice has a cult following in Hong Kong" link.
BTW, I meant the salted red snapper costs about twice as much as fresh red snapper. Might be true with salted and fresh cod too. That stuff costs a pretty penny, WHEN I can find it!

Here is egullet on the subject

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/77956-pictorial-salted-fish-and-chicken-fried-rice/

Oh yeah. But don’t worry. You won’t eat a salted fish the same quantity as a fresh fish. It is more of a condiment, so you won’t burn through your money. :grin:

I have those dried salted fish too. They are good. You just need to steam it to soften it before use. Steam it, then debone it…etc.

1 Like