" Freshway Foodmart, Markham " - Close encounter with a couple of alien looking bi-valves ( $13.88 per pound )

" Freshway Foodmart, Markham " - Close encounter with a couple of alien looking bi-valves ( $13.88 per pound ) and decided to give them a try.

Initially thinking of eating them raw ( sashimi ) style. However, ‘too chicken’ to do so! Will steamed them and eat with ‘wasabi-soy’ dip instead! Ha!![:sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Nice. Enjoy. I love clams.

Be careful whichever way you prepare them. You really don’t want tough/rubbery meat.

I’ve had mini ones before. It was briefly steamed or raw.

After 3 minutes of steaming, here are the end results!

Those Arctic Iceberg Clams, with the thin translucent membrane, looked really ’ Alien’ indeed…kind of reminds me of a ’ force field '!! Ha!

Tasted very sweet and loaded with umami component. Crunchy and mildly chewy texture resembles Arctic surf clams…but much sweeter! Not rubbery at all!

Main body of clams after cleaning

4 Likes

The ‘Elephant Trunk Clams’ are ‘Baby Geoduck Clams’ indeed. Gorgeously delicious, chewy and sweet, much more meaty than Razor Clams. Ended up eating both varietals, as is, without the wasabi-soy dip…potentially ruining the sweetness of the clam meat!

4 Likes