[French Food] Mustard

Repeating part of what I posted in the cheese thread, and starting a mustard discussion, if anyone has more to contribute.

The fine print on the bottle reveals that the Moutarde de Bourgogne from Reflets de France (Carrefour) is from E. Fallot, the renowned mustard producer in Beaune.

Moutarde de Bourgogne is an IGP, meaning that the products (here, primarily mustard seeds and Bourgogne-Aligoté wine) must come from Burgundy. Moutarde de Dijon is not an IGP, and in fact most Moutarde de Dijon apparently is from Canadian mustard seeds.

A travel video I watched on a flight to Paris a few years ago claimed that Fallot was the only producer of Moutarde de Bourgogne.

Last, if you’re in Beaune, don’t bother to buy your Fallot mustard directly from Fallot – it’s much cheaper in stores, especially the E. Leclerc just off the route de Savigny.

2 Likes

In the UK, we have long had a product called “French mustard” - dark brown, not very strong and with a background hint of tarragon. It is an entirely homegrown product, I believe originally created by Colman’s Ltd (but now often copied). I have always understood that it is based on moutarde de Bordeaux (or moutard brune), which I’ve never seen on sale here, or in the likes of Carrefour. I’m visiting Bordeaux later in the year and would like to buy some of the original product. Is there a brand name that I should be searching for?

:yum:

That’s great news. Should keep it secret! :shushing_face:
I just checked, still have some Fallot at home, will buy RDF to do a blind test.

You are looking for this? This place (Quai des Marques - Hangar 18, quai de Bacalan) sells one with green pepper and tarragon. Near the wine museum.

https://www.echoppe-delalune-bordeaux.com/post/la-moutarde-bordelaise-le-gout-des-souvenirs

I love Fallot coarse grain mustard from Beaune - I buy it in the States - and also have a spectacular memory of eating Époisses when we vacationed in Bourgogne but once it’s imported here it’s not that great…we bought our fromage fresh from the producer. I doubt we would have been booted from public transport because of it.

Generally, I prefer moutarde à l’ ancienne old fashion mustard, those with grains.

Difference types of mustard:

Dijon mustard - made from sifted black seeds. It is smooth and homogeneous and its flavor can be mild, medium or strong.

Alsace mustard - made from white seeds. It’s flavor is mild or medium-strong.

Old fashioned mustard - made from mustard seeds, juice from unripe grapes, spices and herbs. It has a characteristic taste and a grainy appearance.

Meaux mustard - made from lightly ground seeds. It has a mild flavor and a grainy appearance.

Beaujolais mustard features coarsely ground seeds mixed with red wine. Its appearance is therefore red and its texture grainy.

Mustard degrades rather quickly once the jar is opened. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if the mustard sent to the US is less . . . snappy? . . . than that in France.

Savora from Amora mustard?

1 Like

Thanks for that, naf. We’re only in the city for a day and half but I’ll try and get there. That product may well be what I’m looking for. Looking at the producer’s website, I see they also do a “tarragon mustard”. Maybe a jar of each.

1 Like

Let’s not make a quest for the holy grail out of this. Although Aquitaine is not as mustard-y as most other regions of France, almost any “épicerie fine” (and they are many) in Bordeaux will probably have a selection of excellent mustards. For the one that most easily slides into your schedule just google “Bordeaux épicerie fine”. If they don’t sell anything that appeals to you, next !

In France we have an abundance of fab and unique mustards And there are lots of other premium “marques”/ brands you can investigate… La Domaine des Terres Rouges, Reine de Dijon, Rue Traversette, Darritchon (basque), etc etc.

I for one see no need to buy expensive mustard because Fallot, found everywhere, is such good value for the quality and has a huge selection of different types (including tarragon). If you want to explore, Fallot also does a packaged assortment of 3 or 5 different mustards in smaller containers.

Oh, I think I will. It’s deep rooted quest. I’ve been eating “French mustard” since I was a kid. To come across whatever was its origin in the city of its creation is a pretty big thing.

2 Likes

@Harters
I just asked husband, a native from Bordeaux, about moutarde Bordelaise. He answered: What’s that? A restaurant?

Never heard of this mustard in his life.

:rofl:

(Blush) Moutarde de Bourgogne is new to me. IS there an outlet in theUS. What I’ve been looking for is a good sinus-clearing Dijon (or similar). I’ve had some in restaurants but despite inquiries haven’t been able to find it at retail

Fallot Moutarde de Bourgogne will probably work or Amore which comes in several strengths.
FWIW, fallot makes an incredible range of flavored mustards Chablis, tarrragon, pain d’epice, noix (walnut), safron. The latter is probably hard to source. We bought it at the factory in Beaune. Mixed into a warm creme fraiche and butter sauce, it is a heavenly foil for scallops or prawns. (But, HINT: you can make a decent work-around by adding dilute safron threads to a good Dijon.) In our area, many varieties of Fallot are easily available; Amore not so much.
,A few Fallot products available online

1 Like

I’ve long wondered about Savora. It’s everywhere in France and cheap. But the smallest jar is almost a pint. I have no idea of its flavor profile. Anyone?

Here in the UK the single Dijon carried by Aldi is excellent, and has a proper punch (of a similar strength to Coleman’s English). Maybe they stock the same product where you are, or online?

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-bramwells-dijon-mustard-200g/4088600249414

German made, I see!

Shrug…I’ve had it in both countries. It’s all good to me.

https://www.myrecipes.com/ingredients/savora-french-condiment This article will give you an idea… In France you would have both Savora and Dijon mustard in your pantry, the use is slightly different Savora being milder. Perfect for salad sauce.

Maybe it’s just a myth and Colman’s invented the story that it was modelled on a Bordeaux made product to give it credibility. When the mustard was launched in 1936, French wine in general, and Bordeaux wines specifically, would have been the essence of “good wine” in the UK. FWIW, Colman’s stopped making it in around 2001, after it had taken over Amora Maille, and was deemed to have an excess market share under EU competition law.

Each region in France would probably has their own version of mustard, like wine. But since Bordelaise mustard is not well known except a few very hard defender in the region, either it’s something that is forgotten or it’s something that is less desired when compared to other mustard in France, ie Dijion or Meaux, and it loses out in the competition.

As for something that is totally forgotten as re-introduced in the market in 1985, the cake Canelé of Bordeaux is such an example.

I believe you can ask for more of its history when you’re in Bordeaux. You can probably find them in any of good grocery store there (I remember seeing that), although personally I haven’t tasted it yet.

Found this in here.

Bordeaux Mustard

Bordeaux Mustard is made from brown or black unhusked mustard seeds ground into a fine flour, mixed with sugar, tarragon, and white verjuice. It has a sweet taste (sweeter than Dijon) with just a tang of sourness to it. The heat is relatively mild. The mustard is a pale yellow colour (though darker than Dijon.)

I remember the taste of Coleman’s when visiting London, it is sweeter and less punchy than the Dijion mustard.