Cheese! Paris, 75000

Jake, although I don’t really have favourites as I said in my post, I do have a strong recommendation for you, Fromagerie Griffon on the avenue de la Motte-Picquet between Les Invalides and the Ecole Militaire. The fromagère-affineuse (feminine) and the younger fromagère Perrine are delightful, incredibly knowledgeable, patient, and the products are impeccable. And an excuse to have lunch at Auberge Bressane if in the mood for excellent regional trad before or after your cheese safari or an excursion to the Marché Saxe-Breteuil followed by a bistronomique lunch at delightful l’Antre Amis.

1 Like

I had completely forgotten about L’Antre Amis, where we had a lovely lunch (5 years ago?) following a visit to the Marché S-B (Thurs+Sat). This fall we’ll check out Fromagerie Griffon - looks like they’re not closed midday, so dinner grazing items can be purchased after lunch. If the Musée Bourdelle has completed its renovations by then, the day will be complete.

Aha… and I a lovely dinner with Ptipois there (L’AA) roughly same era.

Mention of worthwhile l’Antre Amis is buried in this thread. I wonder if we can abstract or somehow highlight these references to gems that would probably go unnoticed for diners/searchers looking for meals. Quartier? Style food? Priceline? C’est compliqué.

Hi Parn/Daniel, belated thanks for this. It certainly goes on our list for our next visit.

— Jake

An example of good cheese that you can get from Carrefour: one of my favorite cheeses is Soumaintrain, a cheese from northern Burgundy that is extremely difficult to obtain outside of Burgundy because of its low production. Under the Reflets de France label, my local Carrefour offers 250g wheels of Soumaintrain for just a bit more than 5€. Those who read the fine print will see that the cheese is produced and matured by the respected Gaugry firm in Brochon (the village immediately north of Gevrey-Chambertin). Gaugry produces two types of Soumaintrain, one pasteurized and one from raw milk – this is the pasteurized version, but still, it is quite good for what it is.

More on reading the fine print: the Reflets de France Moutarde de Bourgogne is from Fallot, one of the finest (if not the finest) mustard producers in France.

4 Likes

Good tips, both the specific and the general. Reflets de /france is often an excellent example of local product and agreeable price. But reading the label can reveal real coups.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: [France] Mustard

Just back in town, left apt and went to Dubois on Blvd St Germaine, major reason iin selecting apt was Dubois proximity. The problem from last autumn continues in spades.
Both the help and the cheese aging are not close to what they were. Whether only this location or all locations l do not know.
Bought 4 cheeses, all stinky, all relatively soft, and all aged poorly. One was very overrated, two were underaged thus gooey on outside chalky on inside and a petite munster was totally tasteless. Threw 2 away and suffering with others.
This is my last trip there for a long while. Damn it !

OTOH, they had a beautiful Soumartraine, farm made for you Claude. Not my fave as too mild for me.

Is that the Dubois at Maubert - Mutualité? We bought some cheeses from them in January, brought them back to Zurich, and they were excellent.

Again mine were all soft and very stinky. The firm one like his 36 month Comte might be different.

I plan on bringing butter and cheese from Paris to the U.S. in May, but could use some advice. I did the same thing two years ago with much success. The butter and cheese were shrinkwrapped at the stores. The butter was frozen by the hotel the night before we left and the cheese was chilled. They were packed in an insulated bag with an icepack.

For the butter, I chose Bordier Demi-Sel from La Grande Epicerie in the 7th.
Knowing nothing much about French cheese, I randomly chose several pieces recommended by a staffer at Fromagerie Quatrehomme. https://www.quatrehomme.fr/en

About the butter, should I stick with Bordier? I want to get something you can’t get here in the U.S. I thought it was excellent but open to trying others as well.

As for the cheese. This time around I was thinking of maybe getting some Comté and perhaps a few others semi-hard/hardish, maybe one softish Brie? What do you suggest? Nothing stinky or super soft like Roquefort. The cheese is not for me, but for my daughter and she said get whatever I want, surprise her. Thanks!

Butter and Cheese from 2019 trip to Paris:

Bordier butter was discussed in the Brittany thread:

Moved your post to the Paris main cheese thread, to avoid duplicated multiple topic.

I usually don’t make butter a quest and supermarkets usually have a selection of very good butter. But, if I’m in the area, I love the artisanal farmhouse butter (from Normandie) from Taka&Vermo fromagerie on rue Faubourg St Denis in the 10th (not tourist territory but quite a popular hangout area for 20- and 30-something Parisians and local foodies attracted by some excellent restos in the area).

For cheese, I suggest the summer cheese Epoisses de Bourgogne which will start to appear in fromageries in May. It’s stinky but comes wrapped in a wooden box that contains the smell until opened. Similary in consistency to Brie but, for me, a very superior taste. And buy a jar of superior cherry confitures to go with it. And, for a harder cheese, the basque Ossau-Iraty. Yum.

5 Likes

Indeed, and searching out the unpasteurized by Gaugry is worth your trouble. We find it at Ferme St. Hubert, 36, rue de Rochechouart,9.

Thanks for this. Their composed cheeses are lovely, and their price on Mont d’Or makes me cry, altho they note they are sold out. No surprises there.

1 Like

Mont d’Or is seasonal and the season is coming to an end so not surprising they are sold out. It starts to reappear in September. Probably supermarket versions year-round but any good fromagerie will only sell what’s in season.

Totally understand. Just lamenting that in season my SF cost is over $30.

1 Like