Frena bakery coming to Outer Richmond!

Israeli bakery Frena, which opened in SoMa under the name “Taboon”, is opening a second outpost on Geary at 20th. The proximity to all the Eastern European bakeries/grocery stores makes the Outer Richmond a natural fit.

What do people like at Frena? I’m curious about their bagels, Israeli style and otherwise. Their filled donuts are stellar, you’d never know they’re vegan, and I’ve enjoyed a few different pita items.

More info at J. the Jewish News Weekly of Northern California

I’m curious as to why you think this has anything to do with Eastern European stores.

I don’t know the owners’ logic, but there’s a concentration of Russian Jews in the outer Richmond and that’s the only neighborhood I associate with Jewish (of various traditions, and not necessarily kosher) foods— the only giant challah in SF to my knowledge is at Moscow Tsibili across the street, (cheap) smoked fish at New World Market, bulk pickles, frozen blintzes, farmers cheese, halvah, hummus, and various Israeli goods.

(Gary Soup) #4

Ashkenzai Jews, primarily from Eastern Europe and Russia, formed the largest component of Israeli society and brought with them baking traditions (including bagels) of their places of origin.

Frena is kosher, and the Richmond probably has the highest concentration of religious Jews in SF, (some of whom are Russian). That’s the reason. Frena is a middle eastern bakery, its products centered around items such as burekas and sambusak, and the baker is of Jewish Iraqi parentage.

The Russian grocery stores don’t really cater to kosher-keeping Jews, so the connection is sort of once-removed.

The store with the most Israeli items in SF is Taraval Farmer’s market. They carry several brands of Israeli (US-made) hummus and salads, schug, amba, and imported frozen malawach, jachnun and burekas, (all mass produced, though). They also have good quality Israeli tahini.