Freehold Update

Congrats!

1 Like

Just went to Amazon to check it out. Thought to myself who the F is DE? I thought Seal wrote that book. Duh!

Congratulations

2 Likes

You have no idea how many times I have that exact same thought!

3 Likes

I can only imagine.

1 Like

Sideways%20Boy%20cover1%20(2)

From the bookā€™s back cover. As good a description as any. :smile_cat:

3 Likes

This morning I heard that The Empanada Guyā€™s place on old 33 in Freehold is closed?? Can anybody confirm?

I donā€™t know. I was a regular at The Empanada Guy for some time until he stopped making a homemade verde salsa in favor of commercially made stuff. I know his location in the Freehold Raceway Mall closed a while back. Perhaps his focus will be on his food trucks.

My only experience with him has been from the food trucks, perhaps Iā€™ll get slammed for this but my opinion was fairly mehā€¦

I was thinking about take out from Latin Bites today. When I checked their website I noticed that ALL their food is much more expensive than my usual go-to for this kind of cuisine, Don Pepe. I canā€™t imagine they are better than Don Pepe and if so, they canā€™t be that much better.

For example, for the price of an order of Peruvian fried rice at Latin Bites you can get a whole roasted chicken, a large salad with great house dressing, and a large order of fried rice at Don Pepe.

Anyone go yet?

1 Like

Having not heard of Don Pepe, I Googled and found the following: Don Pepe Peruvian I and II, in Jamesburg and Freehold; and Don Pepe Restaurant I and II, in Newark and Pine Brook. I presume you get your take-out from the one in Freehold?

Since Latin Bites is so close to our house, maybe weā€™ll try it this week.

1 Like

Lol. You are right @RGR , Iā€™ve let myself get lazy in my posting writing. After spending all summer editing my book maybe Iā€™m jaded, but no excuse. I did indeed mean the one in Freehold. I get the Combo Don Pepe - a whole chicken, huge salad, and rice.

I think I posted somewhere about it, but I usually doctor the rice by adding pre-fried Chinese sausage to it. Fortunately, Asian Foods, on rt 79 carries a dozen brands of sausage, so I can keep it all local. :wink:

I hope you read the book @RGR because if thereā€™s anyone I trust to keep me honest, itā€™s you.

Iā€™ve been to the jamesburg Don Pepe awhile agoā€¦I really enjoyed it. Will definitely try the Freehold one in near future. Just a heads upā€¦ Costco Marlboro sells the Chinese sausage as well.

1 Like

@seal, When it comes to books I read, Iā€™m very old-fashioned. I get them from the library. I checked the Monmouth County Library catalogue. Sadly, your book is not listed.

I guess we should try Don Pepe sometime.

So is there anything new and/or exciting in freehold/manalapan area? I will be out there later and I plan to dine out there.

Not so much. Best bet is to stick with Sichuan Cottage in Marlboro.

1 Like

The Chozhas on Rte 33 Manalapan is less than a year old and has very good Indian food in a nice setting.

3 Likes

Not new, but have you been to Don Pepe on Main St? They put out big portions of solid food. I canā€™t tell you how many chickens I have had there and their seafood is surprisingly good as well. Get a combo if you are with at least one other person - plenty for two or even three.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Sichuan C is always a good call! I havenā€™t been there in a while either.

Spencer: I will check that out. However, I still havenā€™t been to aarzu. Yes I know, I am either trying a place out the first week itā€™s open or I drag my feet for like 2 years lol.

Dave, let me look that over. I havenā€™t had Peruvian in probably over a year, so that is a possibility.

I was also thinking about going straight back to Fernandes for a lobster. Back to back Fernandes trips would be a first for me.

2 Likes

That my friend is the stuff legends are made of.

1 Like

Their chicken is nice and smoky there! I feel bad for that place, itā€™s ALWAYS empty.

1 Like