Freehold Update

Any updates on istanbul?

I was in downtown freehold this morning and is it me, or are a lot of Mexican places opening up? Maybe I just haven’t been there in a little while, but they seem to be all over.

@corvette_johnny - tried a bunch of stuff at Istanbul recently … it was ok, but I was hoping for more than ok. We mostly stuck to the kabobs. Chicken and lamb cubes were kind of chewy. Chicken wings (grilled on a kabob stick) were pretty tasty. My favorites were the ground chicken and lamb varieties … very tasty and none of the chewiness the cubes suffered from. They were out of pork chop kabobs which I would have ordered. The tzatziki was too thin and watery. The hummus was decent. Despite the lackluster first visit, will return for the ground chicken and lamb and explore more of the menu. Also, not inexpensive. Around $15 for two skewers served with rice and greens. Someone with an appetite (like me) may still be hungry. Family run place and I wish them well.

1 Like

Had me a Habit Burger on a lettuce bun today. Quite good. Of course, I added cheese and had sweet potato fries, but still…

1 Like

But you were good with carbs (except for the fries). lol

1 Like

Thanks for the report. For a first time person, what do you think I should get?

Have you tried the Peruvian place? It seems freehold has some interesting new spots.

Thanks,

Cj

Actually, the Peruvian place, Don Pepe, has been around for quite a while. They are on the same side of Main st as Istanbul, but further away from the Hall of Records.

I think their specials may be the best value for good food for your money in town.

I still haven’t made it to Don Pepe, the Peruvian place. I know that Seal has generally spoken favorably of it. Gonna make a point to try it. As for Istanbul, get a kebab combo. My money is on the ground lamb and chicken.

Note that there is also a Peruvian restaurant named Don Pepe in Jamesburg.

I think there are 3 from the same family, one in Jamesburg, one in Pine Brook, and one in Freehold. I think the similarly named place in Newark is not affiliated. My spanish is not bad but I could be mistaken.

Has anyone tried this place?

https://www.facebook.com/Taqueria-Cortez-Cortez-1442763955800322/

Another business I’ll never end up trying because I’m not on Facebook and can’t access their information. Do you think people ever will ever learn how to do this when they open a business (of ANY kind)?

1 Like

I can’t see it either lol. My friend sent me the link. The meat on the opening page does look good though

Couple new chains opening up:

Blazing Pizza is coming soon next to Panera (formerly Cheeburger Cheeburger) near Best Buy/Bed Bath Beyond in Manalapan - https://www.blazepizza.com

ZinBurger is coming soon in what used to be TGIF in Marlboro - Route 9 north bound side near ShopRite/Home Depot - https://zinburger.com

1 Like

I read earlier in the year that the plan was to tear down the TGIF and put up a new building for Zin. Is that what’s happening?

1 Like

Yes, they tore down the TGIF.

1 Like

And now the TGIF on Route 9 in Freehold has closed, to be replaced by Tommy’s Tavern + Tap.

1 Like

Wow… that leaves Friday’s in Old Bridge. I’d better use my Free Appetizer cards while I still have the chance.

Isn’t that the one they tore down to make room for Zinburger?

No, the one that’s been torn down to be replaced by Zinburger is in Marlboro (in the ShopRite/Home Depot strip.) The one in Old Bridge is near Ernston Rd. and is still there, at least for now…

I drove past one on 35 in…Holmdel-Middletown yesterday. I noticed it because now they’re just Fridays (not TGI)