four nights in london?

I think London is indeed an excellent place to have wonderful Indian food. I’m not a high-end diner and tend to prefer lunch/bar snacks. I did check out two places in June: Gunpowder in Spitalfields was very atmospheric and offered delicious small plates - I think we had beer, aloo chaat, and okra fries. The next day, I visited Darjeeling Express because I’m a big fan of Asma Khan. Tea and more small plates, I believe a dal, momos, and chili cheese toastie. Oh boy, would really like to go back.

Everyone I asked had different recommendations for “the best” so probably you’ll be happy whatever you select from the universe of good reccs.

2 Likes

after doing a bit of research, I believe quality chop house is a great choice but unfortunately the sunday roast is booked during our stay. Another fine choice, but also booked during our stay, is Blacklock Shoreditch. Based on my research to date, I’d choose both over the jagged hare. If we had more time, I’d invest the time it takes to get out to The Black Dog Beer House and actually, that might be my first choice.

out of necessity, we may end up at Hawksmoor Air Street, it does seem a little silly since there’s a Hawkmoor here in nyc and to be honest, I’d prefer a non-chain (which I suppose also takes Blacklock Shoreditch out of contention) so may end up at a lesser known pub.

best,

1 Like

thanks for this, after looking at various photos and reading about london fish and chips, I think we’re going to pass on the dish this trip. I did have a glorious rendition at a gastropub last time we were in town but I’m guessing, as someone who grew up in a fishing community, I’m likely to be disappointed by most of what’s on offer.

thanks, the estimable @Saregama has provided recommendations from her past threads, gunpowder among them, right now leaning towards Dishoom.

1 Like

anyone have an opinion on the four seasons for roast duck on gerrard st in chinatown? the FT called it the best duck in the world…

"The reputation of this dish, here and at the original branch in Queensway, west London, has spread globally. My initial visit was prompted by a tip-off from a Hong Kong hotelier who said it was the best roast duck she had eaten anywhere, including Asia. My several meals here have persuaded me of this opinion. "

We were in London last fall, and got some great advice on this thread, although my group sounds a bit different, and went other places.

1 Like

One of the places I have really enjoyed in London is Honey & Co. I’ve eaten there on three separate visits and evey meal has been excellent. On my first visit, I had the Gundi Sabzi (usually on the spring menu) which was so good that I bought the cookbook and have made it a couple of times at home. They also always have really interesting baked foods including an amazing feta cheesecake on a kadaif base. They recently moved to a new location in Bloomsbury which I have not been to. I wasn’t able to get a reservation there when I visited London last fall.

1 Like

thanks for that, looks like you ate well! We may try the place you had fish, looks wonderful!

1 Like

thanks, I’m going to pitch it to my wife. For reasons I can’t discern, after 100s of middle eastern meals, for some reason it’s been hard to move her in that direction.

Plus 1 for Dishoom, although we went to the one in Edinburgh

Noting your earlier comment about Hawksmoor, I presume you know Dishoom is a similar chain.

I’m in London for work the 26th of March through the 7th of April (weekend in Antwerp). I’m doing a bit of research and will post it here. I’ve been twice since last August and this is my first of 2 trips before June.

thanks, yes, but several people I trust have personal experience there. Btw, Rules was completely booked for sunday dinner.

I really must try their branch in Manchester sometime. Although the Mumbai street food market is already quite crowded round here (including my favourite Asian place).

We just checked and were disappointed to find duck confit is now absent from the Wolseley’s menu. We last had afternoon tea at Fortnum’s and Brown’s, preferring the latter.

1 Like

I’m in London for work quite often (next trip in 2 weeks). I had dinner at Hawksmoor Seven Dials a few months ago and really liked it. Never had the impression it was just part of a chain. Maybe this Hawksmoor is more relaxed as it’s in the West End where there are typically less tourists than in Soho/Leicester Square.

For fish I really love Barrafina. If you like big airy European style brasseries you can’t go wrong with The Wolseley nor The Delaunay. For good pubs with good food just go to some of the more posh areas for example The Guinea Grill in Mayfair. Afternoon tea: I’d pick one of the classic, famous hotels in Mayfair. I also love The Corinthia hotel. Finally, near Tower Bridge you can go to the walkie talkie building on Fenchurch Street, which has some of the best views in London imho, and there is a good (enough) restaurant at the top.

I don’t often go for Indian food in London, though I still want to try Gymkhana. A few years ago though I ended up in a very low key Indian place called Cafe Tiffin in Clerkenwell which was really good.

1 Like

I’d been to a couple of Hawksmoor places in London, before they opened in Manchester. Can’t recall which one but I definitely preferred the ambiance of the Seven Dials branch to it.

As for high end Indian in London, my only experience is Trishna, which I thought excellent. I havent been for a while, but I think Tayyabs is still very well regarded for a casual place in the East End (Whitechapel). The “Dry Meat” curry is very good, in spite of an unappetising name (it just has a very clingy sauce). Good place for a lateish dinner if you’re doing a Jack the Ripper tour from near Tower Bridge, as the tour ends nearby.

2 Likes

I tend to eat most meals in Soho, Chelsea, or Mayfair, or near the museums and theatres I’m visiting in London.

It’s been a long time since I was last at this tapas bar, but I had a good meal there, before a play at the Old Vic. It isn’t too far from the Tower Bridge. Not a trendy kind of place, slightly worn but cozy. There are more stylish tapas places, but we were quite happy as walk-ins at this place. https://www.mesondonfelipe.co.uk/

I have been wanting to visit Moro for a long time, an upscale more modern Spanish restaurant. https://moro.co.uk/

thanks, both places look great but thinking we should wait until Madrid to start eating tapas/spanish food.

1 Like

As I spend more and more time researching places to eat I’m becoming less and less convinced we will make eating a focal point (gasp!). We don’t have a schedule of things to do yet so thinking it may be best to plan day to day and not rely on advance bookings.

Right now I’m leaning towards (not arranged chronologically):

• dishoom convent garden, we have theater tickets nearby
  • Padella in borough market is walking distance from our hotel so if we’re not complete zombies, might make a good first night dinner
  • four season in chinatown for “the best duck in the world” if we’re near chinatown
  • afternoon tea somewhere or other
  • some of the many places recommended in this thread

As I mentioned somewhere, we don’t really eat breakfast or lunch, hopefully we’ll find a good coffee shop and a perhaps a baked good near the hotel and be on our way.

thanks for all the help!

ps this looks like a bunch of interesting places walking distance from our hotel:

1 Like