For Brussels sprouts haters

That’s what I’m talking about . !! :+1: Nice pics Hyper .

2 Likes

Those fan-shaped leaves are removed by the time the “clubs” of Brussels sprouts arrive in New England. Too bad. I’d stir-fry them along with their stems. Aced my coumadin check today so I can indulge in “the devil’s hemorrhoids” for a couple of weeks, something I look forward to each November.

1 Like

Thanks for the recipes, I have just added it in my soon to cook list.
Deep frying them is a winner!

Not so, for this hater. Not least as the UK is a very small country (we all live within 75 miles of the sea). It’s a traditional north European winter veg (which I suppose is why it appears at our Xmas feast). Most will be grown in and around the county of Lincolnshire , about 100 miles from me. And the ones at my local farmers market, usually sold still on the stick, are much nearer, maybe 35 miles.

There’s just something about the taste being unpleasant in a way I don’t with other members of the cabbage family, which I eat regularly.

I had a cuz who was growing brussels in their garden. Gave me a big bag of those big leaves. Blanched them and used them in place of grape leaves and rolled them up with a rice and meat mixture. They were great

They appear from time to time in British supermarkets in the cooler months, where they replace the other loose leaf cabbage leaves usually sold as “spring greens”. They’re no different in taste from the spring ones.

it’s nice to see you back.

I love them and roast them halved on high heat with whole garlic cloves, s&p, olive oil. Just before
removing from the oven a couple of short squirts of reduced balsamic … lemon zest as soon as they come out
When preparing for myself I can eat them any way… I love them

1 Like

I like them simply roasted if I’m eating them as a side dish, or I cut them in quarters, roast with olive oil, salt and pepper until well browned and then serve with a garlic aioli dipping sauce made with garlic, parsley, mayo, S&P, and lemon juice.

3 Likes

LOL, I love brussels sprouts - one of my favorite veggies too. I always find the hate for them amusing and a bit mystifying. I’ve been known to have a pan full of them alone for dinner. Don’t get how anyone can hate sauteeing them or roasting them with bacon, but my latest thing has been “shaving” them and sauteeing. Sooo good.

3 Likes

Are there any foods you just don’t like? Do tell so I can see if I find your taste amusing and mystifying.

1 Like

Yes, licorice and licorice flavored things! It’s popularity is just as mystifying to me. The taste literally makes me gag.

1 Like

That’s oddly hilarious.

OK, for all you sprout lovers (I seem to be in a small minority here), here’s a recipe from Nigel Slater in today’s Observer

200g sprouts
100g watercress
1 little gem lettuce
2 lge handfuls young kale
small bunch chard leaves
1 avocado
handful sprouted seeds.

He suggests removing the sprout leaves one by one until you get to the heart, then halving it and removing the tough stalks from the watercress. Dressing made from equal parts yoghurt and olive oil to which shredded basil leaves are added.

Please enjoy (although it still seems a sure way of ruining a lot of delicious ingredients.)

1 Like

IF this is for a salad of raw ingredients quite frankly I’d agree. I like all the vegetables mentioned in your list but? Raw sprouts? raw kale? “sprouted seeds” of something? Include me out.

My dad always said the problem with sprouts is they don’t taste “sweet” until they have had a good frost and many in the UK are sold before they do.

Totally agree - a marriage made in heaven. Also good to add some chunky bits of pancetta if you can plus some peeled chestnuts to roast with them. they are very good.

That could be true (as it is for parsnips), but the growers of the vast California fields of Brussels sprouts pictured upthread would likely disagree. I think such cooking truisms arose when SOP for vegetables was boiling. The caramelization achieved via dry heat challenges those old saws.

Enjoying steamed “Devil’s hemorrhoids” the other day, I realized that one of the reasons I like them is their meaty mouthfeel. They are both tender and firm, to a degree that other cooked vegetables are not.

Agreed - I’m not a huge fan of kale, chard or Brussels sprouts raw. I don’t mind them if they’re very thinly shaved and included in a slaw-type thing, but they need to sit in an acidic/salty dressing for a good long while to tenderize and bring out their flavor. Just tossing all of that together and serving it right away wouldn’t do it for me!

3 Likes

Little gem with all those hearty greens? And avocados are horrible right now, they’re a summer fruit. This salad needs a sweet element more appropriate to the season, fresh persimmons or dried berries would work.

And I agree with @biondanonima, the kale and Brussels sprouts definitely need tenderizing. You can’t just toss them into a salad willy-hilly. It causes hate.

1 Like