Food Safety Discussions

Thanks!

I recently saw a Jacques Pepin video on Facebook where he cuts up some chicken, then uses the same knife to get butter from the butter dish and into the pan.

Likewise, Thomas Keller sticking a pepper mill into a raw chicken prior to roasting the chicken. I’ve seen other chefs do the same.

The safety concerns are obvious.

1 Like

I left out stock for more two hours and in a desperate search, found this.

Interesting question about the sous vide stuff. Ernie’s sous vide steak guide is pretty educational; but the question of fish is intriguing to me.

I drink raw milk and eat raw meats, so I’m a food safety sinner.

1 Like

I’ve revised the fish temperature a little, to 120F for black cod/butterfish. The texture is better for that fish. Salmon still works at 116F, though.

And I dropped the chicken breasts to 142F.

And this, kids, is why I dont eat oysters in the summer.

Yes, summer is still primarily breeding season and they’re not plump like in the cooler months. (Yes, yes, farmed oysters, manipulated breeding seasons, etc etc)

When the water temperatures are in the 90s (like they are in the Gulf right now) its breeding ground for all kinds of things. So I dont eat raw oysters that have been flown in from thousands of miles aeay…ever…and I dont eat Gulf oysters when the water is warm.

(By the way…always make sure you clean and properly dress any cuts and scrapes when you’ve been swimming/wading in super warm water…vibrio will grow in open wounds, too. And its really nasty…like hospital stay nasty…but not usually fatal unless you have some underlying immunity issue)

1 Like

I so prefer oysters Rockefeller, anyway. I get little out of chugging raw oysters.

Still I occasionally consume raw milk. But I know the man and cows feeding me, there.

Do you ever watch/read true crime stories? Its usually someone they know :scream:

:wink:

1 Like

LOL!! True that! My dairy guys might conspire. They’re always plotting something.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. I am always mindful of food safety, wash my hands more than anyone I know, but I also make a distinction between cooking for myself and for others. Recently, I tried curing my own brisket flat for corned beef. After ten days, I tried a tiny bit of it for taste. Later I had unusual gassiness and the next morning a slight bit of stomach ache. I threw away the corned beef rather than serve it to my extended family. That said, it did taste awesome. I’ll never know for sure about its safety factor.

I like raw oysters a lot…but Ill wait…

1 Like

Can’t blame you. I respect your opinion, Sunshine. What about the raw works for you? Had them twice and I’m kinda ho hum. I don’t get to oysterdom often anymore. Too inland to get the real goods.

1 Like

I just like the briny sea taste.

The first time I ate a raw oyster was somewhere jn the Carolina low country, literally knee deep in salty mud (back when you could do that and not worry your health) , and opened with a flat blade screwdriver. A local had led us down as the tide receded, and taught us how to open them.

Been a fan wver since…but spoiled by that, and Im really picky about them now.

Makes sense. I don’t find them offensive. I just don’t get the rush some do. Given my geography, I doubt I could take on the oyster hobby.

1 Like

I saw this too, but now can’t seem to read the whole story. :thinking:

I seem to be able to read further here;

ETA I can see the rest of the NBC link now. It goes on to read;

"…Two of the three cases were wound infections not associated with seafood, the health department said, and the third infection was a Connecticut resident that consumed raw oysters not harvested from Long Island Sound at an out-of-state establishment.

All three victims were between the ages of 60 to 80 and the two deaths occurred in July, the department said, adding that it’s first time Connecticut has seen a Vibrio case in three years…"

1 Like

I’ve been cooking all our seafood to 160° F lately, to be safe.

1 Like