Food news of interest in Austin

Wonder if his Dijon will go well with Earl Campbell’s Hot Links?

I imagine, in the next to last paragraph, they’re referring to HEB Central Markets?

All I can say is, good luck to him. That’s just what this world needs is one more kind of mustard on the store shelf.

2 Likes

I have some of these for cook-out today along with chicken. I’ve never had them! Looking forward to it. Tomorrow regular dogs. My mustard of choice is Best Maid Texas Burger Mustard.

2 Likes

Sorry that I’m running late. Need me to pick up anything?

2 Likes

Haha welp, Earl’s hot links were neither hot nor sausage, but the reason I won’t rush out to get more of these hot dogs is the packaging. It took 6 minutes to get 5 dogs out. Each one is wrapped individually within the outer covering and all the packaging is connected. Even with scissors I made little headway quickly. When they were finally out, it looked like a bear had gotten into the trash.

And my grill caught fire. Not the chicken, the grill, so those finished in the oven. Amazingly it was still tender and tasty.

I give the whole experience a B- Sorry you couldn’t make it :grin:

4 Likes

I make up hamburgers in the house and put the package of EC hot links on top. Think he uses his pocket knife out back at the grill. Haven’t heard any complaints so far. I agree there’s nothing particularly special about EC hot links. But will have to give Best Maid ‘burger’ mustard a shot to see what that’s all about.:slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Re: the mustard - me too. Never had it before.

4 Likes

It’s thicker and a tad grainier than the yellow bottle. I bought it at a Brookshire’s. I only buy Best Maid hamburger dills at HEB, I would think HEB carries the mustard too. It’s a Texas brand, made in Fort Worth.

3 Likes

The mustard is terrific. In my book the best Yaller mustards are Best Maid, Whataburger, and Heinz.

4 Likes

I’ll be checking out the pickles, too. I’ve been buying HEB’s Pickle me Dilley dills and okra for a couple of years but they’re not showing up at HEB Meyerland as I put together an order today!

Anybody know of any brand dills that are thicker cut?

1 Like

When I have the need of a smoked sausage fix, HEB’s store brand ones are good. So are their natural casing beef hot dogs. As regards Best Maid mustard and dill pickle chips, you can make your own turbocharged Whataburger at home with those on a griddled Martin’s bun, diced onion, a slice of tomato, some shredded lettuce, American cheese, and a patty to your liking. Those toppings are such a classic combo I even like them on vegetable burgers.

1 Like

Yep! I prefer a mustard burger but never thought the mustard on Whataburger was a big part of the reason I like the burgers, so have’t tried the Whataburger mustard. The thing about Whataburger to me was that it was always hot and fresh, which it isn’t reliably anymore, at least at the one’s I used to go to. They push all the different options instead of ‘we don’t start until you tell us to,’ or whatever the quote was.

4 Likes
1 Like

Whataburger breakfast sausage - 1 lb. - $5.99
Whataburger mayonnaise - $5,99

And this was before the pandemic. Holding steady now. As much as I like Whataburger, their products can stay on the shelf as far as I’m concerned.

I recently saw Hellman’s for $7.99.

Also left on the shelf. :wink:

1 Like

Duke’s at HEB is $4.45. Whataburger is $4.10. Duke’s is my favorite after home made.

1 Like