Food News in Houston 2024 (openings, closings, +

‘Progressive Creole’ restaurant Augustine’s to open in boutique Third Ward hotel this fall (msn.com)

I will look forward to this. The above is a free site - on the pay site, if you can get to it, he mentions Allison Cook’s encouragement when he was here before.

Dominick Lee’s Augustine’s promises ‘Progressive Creole’ cuisine (msn.com)

1 Like

Detroit-style pizza joint Via 313 opening in Memorial City in March (msn.com)

I’ve only had Detroit deep dish at Pizaro’s in Montrose. I love it. I don’t think they ever added it at their original location in the Memorial area.

1 Like

Live lobsters, A5 wagyu star in Asiatown’s newly debuted Shabu En (msn.com)

Oh, how this makes me yearn for the days when I could go anywhere I wanted to eat and eat as much as I wanted! (If the place is a good as the review, I think it’ll get crowded pretty soon).

1 Like

Why an anticipated Houston bagel shop started over 6 days after opening (msn.com)

Surprise! Texas Icon Whataburger Opens on the Las Vegas Strip Today (msn.com)

Now you can lose everything but celebrate anyway with a double meat, double cheese, bacon jalapeno Whataburger :star_struck:

1 Like

Portillo’s (Chicago specialties) on its way

Trader Joe’s moving into Sugar Land

This one might be easier for me to get to than the one on Westheimer :hugs:

(But when did #s 4 and 5 open??? I’m way behind)

Inspired or stolen? Owner of late Dolce Vita accuses Magdalena’s of copying pizza menu (msn.com)

23 hot Galveston restaurants for tourists, locals, families (chron.com)

I’ve been to very few of these, haven’t even heard of many (we’ve never attracted a good Galveston participant on HO). No mention of Gaido’s, the Tremont or Galvez? Times are changing!

Katie’s seafood market was previously recommended by the late, much missed jcostiones, I think (or was that you @Lambowner?) So the restaurant is on my list to try. Shrimp 'n stuff doesn’t really cut it for me. La King’s is a fun stop. Leon’s is not high on my list. Maceo’s - a fun stop but the muffaletta I got was not impressive compared to others around the area. I’ve never been able to get into the Mosquito Cafe - closed both times I tried. And I think I’ve been to Sunflower but the dish I had is not on the menu so maybe I’m remembering some other place. If they took it off the menu, good for them - it wasn’t done well :astonished:

1 Like

Pizza wars? Who cares? The pies at the new Magdalena’s are terrific. (msn.com)

Tee-hee-hee :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Seattle’s Piroshky Piroshky to host bakery pop-ups in Texas (chron.com)

Well I missed it again - can’t make it this afternoon. Saw this a few weeks ago but didn’t remember to write it down or bookmark. They were here earlier, too, and I missed it.

@Lambowner? Any body else in TX?

LA Pizzeria Pizzana Comes to Houston - Eater Houston

Well, La-Ti-Dah, as they say in Italy!

The Chron (on its pay-site) couldn’t help but mention ‘Michelin credentials.’

Houston pizza restaurant Pizzana opens in River Oaks (houstonchronicle.com)

1 Like

Curry Pizza Company is the latest Indian-inspired pizzeria to open in the Houston area (msn.com)

Nice convenient location ---- :upside_down_face: :grimacing: :unamused:

But I’ve just got to try this, Bombay Pizza downtown is long gone but it seems there are several other small places like this in town now.

1 Like

Beloved French bakery Magnol announces expansion with Heights opening (msn.com)

1 Like

New Houston Korean restaurant stays open until 2 a.m. (chron.com)

1 Like

I drove to Mangol once, and drove and drove and drove. It’s remote in my world. I arrived about 3 and was the lone baguette hound. I guess there’s a long line early in the morning. Makes sense.

1 Like

The new TJ‘s in Sugar land is causing some extreme excitement, at least among my relatives there! It’s been a long while since I’ve been to the one closest to me on Westheimer. It’s also the one that Doobie frequents occasionally I guess. I like some of their things, but I always end up throwing away items that I just did not like. The mushroom tarte is an item I have purchased over and over, very mushroomy.

I had never heard of it until this article. There need to be some new rules laid down about how to pick a site for a restaurant. Nothing ever gets anywhere close to me.

1 Like

Haven’t been in over a year, probably 2. That’s the location I go to most and I try to avoid the freeways or Beltway these days, not to mention, what is it, 8 lanes on Westheimer?

Brittany butter is gone? Kalamata olive oil?, Better deli meats at the deli at HEB, fresh sliced. Not much I still want to go for.

But I may check out the SL store to see if it’s a little closer.

1 Like

Gold Tooth Tony’s sets sights on Bellaire for second location (msn.com)

It’s Pizza Time in Houston! Maybe we need a separate thread about pizza joints like BBQ & Tex-Mex.