Food News in Houston 2023 (openings/closings/popups, etc.)

1 Like

Will I finally be able to see what all the hype is about? Will there be long lines?

It’s getting to the point where Katy must be included in any foodie tour of Houston. And, happily for me, the prospect of taking a hotel room and spending a couple of days without having to drive all the way home is becoming more and more a practical choice.

2 Likes

In following Bruce’s crawfish link from another thread, I see that Hubcap Grill’s last inner loop location has closed.

LINK

Condos coming soon?

1 Like
1 Like

Amazin’!!

I drove down Woodway a couple of days ago and saw a “coming soon” sign for a Hungry’s near Chimney Rock. It’s in a spot that was Sweet Mesquite for a long time. I ate a LOT of burgers in that space.

2 Likes

My favorite dish at Hungry’s has been the salmon with their delicious orzo salad. Recently they stopped making the orzo salad and substituted some sort of couscous and now I’m sad. The server told me last time I was in there that everybody is upset about it! Ha ha

1 Like

On my last couple of visits, I’ve had the lamb gyro and their excellent fries.

The chicken salad isn’t what it used to be .

And of course, since covid, there’s no more pickle and condiment bar. Love those pepperoncinis.

1 Like

I keep hoping it will appear one day. I suppose Cafe Express removed their condiment bar also. I ordered Hungry’s delivery last night, power of suggestion you know.

1 Like

Coming Soon sign for a Tim Horton’s coffee shop in that small building next to Fuzzys Pizza at Westheimer and Fondren.

Tim Horton’s is the famous Canadian coffee chain started by a famous hockey player also from Canadia.

I’m not seeing any other locations in Houston as of yet.

Someone should tell them that location has been a death knell to every business that’s opened there. Golden Chick, Taco Bueno, some plant store, some window treatment company, etc. have come and gone. Only Golden Chick lasted long enough for me to cross its threshold. And then only once.

Good luck Timmies. I’m rooting for ya, eh.

1 Like

They opened one in Katy a few months ago. It gets average reviews.

2 Likes
2 Likes

That was interesting. Now I have to revisit Tornado Burger, I haven’t been in a long while. And get some sushi/sashimi. I’ve been wanting to try the revolving sushi place. I’ve had the pulled pork sandwich at Buc-ees and it was delicious. Guess I need to try the brisket!

3 Likes

Ate at the food truck here, years ago, and chased it down several times. Good stuff. I thought it was an Austin import back then. Whatever, I’ll be looking forward to trying this.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I received an email from Sprouts Markets that the store at Westheimer and Kirkwood is closing April 30.

Get your bulk nuts and candies while you can.

(I should note that while I used to be a weekly visitor, I have probably only been in there once in the last three years, so…. Sorry Sprouts!)

2 Likes

That was the closest one to me - but haven’t been in a couple of years, either. They took over a former Kroger on OST which would be closer but I haven’t been yet. I expect it will close as I understand they’re decided on smaller stores – that was a small Kroger but still probably bigger than the one on Westheimer.

I can’t remember the last time I was in Bellaire, but I’ll make a point to check this place out.