Food News in Houston 2023 (openings/closings/popups, etc.)

For fans of Scandinavian fare:

Saw this elsewhere and thought I’d post here - may have been open for some time, I don’t know. Pretty full menu of offerings.

Katy deserves its own listing in the Multicultural cities thread :+1:

2 Likes

I had lunch here on Valentine’s Day and quite enjoyed it. Open face salmon and shrimp sandwiches. The cabbage/kale salad on the side is tough and unpleasant to me though.

2 Likes

Looks like hubby rented the whole place out. How romantic!
:grin:

2 Likes

We were the first ones there! When we left it was very busy. We had an appointment to pick up valentine dinner at Brookwood :joy: at noon. Always plan ahead. :shallow_pan_of_food:

2 Likes

Looks pretty good to me. I thought the prices looked kind of high but I haven’t been out much in a couple of years. Fair?

I’ve always though those open faced sandwiches were kind of small but those look like full sized slices of bread?

Yes full size bread and yes somewhat pricey. But in fairness, premium ingredients are used. I don’t even know where they get those small Scandinavian shrimp. I’ve only seen them on a trip to Stockholm but I fell in love with them there and with all the glorious seafood.

2 Likes

I know I’ve bought them before at the Ikea food store, but it’s been years. They’ve served them, too, I don’t think regularly but with one of their special holiday meals like Midsommar, Kraftskiva, Julbord, Paskbord.

1 Like

This is on the Ikea Houston website - not what I’ve gotten before. What I had was like the pic on the pkg - shell and head intact, not peeled. And I think smaller that what’s pictured.

North sea shrimp is the term that was used I think - it’s been probably 10 years or more. Let me know if you get some and what you think.

1 Like

170 posts on my NextDoor feed. Mixed reviews. Complaints about the price and portion sizes.

oh cool! Thanks for the head’s up! I’ve only been to Ikea once and I nearly lost my mind trying to get out. It was a case of false imprisonment. But maybe there’s a separate entrance for the food section.

1 Like

Haven’t been since before my health issues and then the pandemic, so at least 5 years. At the main entrance, turn left (stay on ground floor, don’t go up escalator or elevator). You’ll pass the children’s playground on the right, then the food store on the left, then the snack bar (where you pay for food purchases). The snack bar is just outside the main checkout lanes. Probaby still the same layout

2 Likes

Just searched the website for a store layout map, to no avail. I was reminded, though, take your own shopping bag or you’ll have your hands full or have to buy one of theirs which is the size of a duffel bag!

2 Likes

Just turn the table cards around and play different music??? :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

First, some good news:

Plus, the Gordon Food Service near me (former Beldon’s location) opens Monday the 15th as well.

Then, the bad news:

Haven’t been in a few years but will miss it, the Hank’s ice cream and home-made cakes. This place and the also departed Bellaire Broiler Burger were the two best hamburger joints in this part of town/closest to me. Pooh!

And:

Well, the original is still open, and closer to me anyway, but it has a smaller menu and shorter hours. They probably made a good burger, too :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Only open 2 years and already ‘beloved?’ I’ve come to hate that over-used term.

1 Like

I’m going to miss Blake’s. I don’t go often but wish I did. Never even tried the bbq but the burgers were good. Really nice family run joint.

1 Like

Hey… NotDoobieWah, The Spouts on Kirby and OST by my work closing too.
I thought for sure it would fit in with the Medical Center so close, another one bite the dust.

2 Likes

I scoured the article several times but didn’t get an address. Typical of Eater. Some posts I come across don’t even identify the city unless you recognize a street name or neighborhood.

2 Likes

10 lbs! Are peaches good for stray dogs, feral cats, birds, raccoons, opossums, ???

2 Likes

This is cool! Good for splitting with a couple of other people.

1 Like

3407 Montrose Blvd STE A8, Houston 77006

Eater Houston did include the address and link to the restaurant website at the end of the article on the Eater site; seems that the MSN site cut off that info.

3 Likes