Food & drink sayings

My wife is orignially Hungarian. She says it means, “Out of the pail, into the bucket.”

1 Like

Thanks. I ran it through google translate and it said something similar. I used the English equivalent.

It’s actually from a song. :grin: :cowboy_hat_face:

Photo taken in a beautiful medieval town (Quedlinburg - pronounced “kveh-dleen-boorg”) on the historic “timber-frame route” in Germany. It’s a postcard perfect half-timbered doll house small town. Unfortunately, I only stayed the night on my way to Leipzig.

The church on the right was built in 922.

1 Like

This is reminding me of the one about slowly bringing up the temperature on a pot of crabs. Anyone know that one?

ETA; it was frogs.

Thoughts on Boiling Frogs and other metaphors on change

According to Snopes, frogs don’t let this happen!

Performance Management Company Blog adds…

“As the temperature increases, the frog will become more and more animated in its attempts to escape the water and will do so if the container size and opening will allow it to jump out. (This sounds more and more like some workplaces I know of!)”

2 Likes

This Russian proverb has always amused me: “The church is near, but the road is icy. The bar is far away, but I will walk carefully.”

6 Likes

Церковь рядом, но дорога обледенела. Бар находится далеко, но я пойду осторожно.

Okay, . . . now, what about the return, presumably past the church . . .

3 Likes

I dunno…

And speaking of Russian proverbs…

When you do something for the first time, it’s usually imperfect.

^^ My spinach-chia seed pancakes.

1 Like

There are many beautiful and deep sayings in Arabic. This is one of them. It refers to the bond that is built between people based on respect through eating together.

Photo taken in a village somewhere on an excursion. No longer know the name of the village but it’s between Volubilis Roman ruins and Meknes.

To Get to Know a Cuisine, Get to Know Some Grandmas.

Just daw this saying today. True.

1 Like

My photo editor can’t display Turkish. This is the original saying: Armut piş ağzıma düş. G00gle translate says “the pear is cooked on the tree”. Describes someone who prefers the easy life and good fortune should fall in their lap.

I don’t know what kind of food-related photo to use for this. Photo taken in Sihanoukville, Cambodia. Someone in the photo seemed to have an easy life.

1 Like

A bit like the Turkish saying above. Literally “glide in on a prawn sandwich” in Swedish. Meaning someone who didn’t have to work hard to get where they are in life.

2 Likes

From a Chilean cookery book. Literally, “they took the mussels out of my basket”. Which means to say someone gets on your last nerve.

1 Like

In my family “TTT” has always been a favourite. “Tummy Touching Table” after one too many mouthfuls.
Also the lovely misquote: “The world is your lobster”.

2 Likes

This Dutch saying means “who wants to get the last drop gets the lid on the nose”. So yeah, don’t try too hard or it’ll be painful.

A “kan” is a pitcher, jug or vessel. I found a perfect photo from my Tibet trip.

Practically still winter in Tibet and were were the only 3 tourists around. The monks were getting yak butter milk before going in the prayer hall. One of the monks was curious about us tourists. Amazing experience and what a trip Tibet was. Wish I could do it all over again.

2 Likes

Never short change yourself when it comes to eating and drinking.

Market butcher’s shop in the medina in Fez, Morocco. Camel meat is as common there as yak meat in Tibet. I put the text over the camel’s head so you don’t have to see it. (The PC police would probably pm me to let me know they are not pleased.)

1 Like

There’s a fair possibility that if you switched to hard liquor after you were already pretty drunk, you could more easily misjudge and drink far too much. Otherwise, it’s an old husbands’ tale. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

1970’s Houston. " Liquor and beer never fear. Beer and whiskey mighty risky." :crazy_face:

German saying:

Old bread is not hard, but no bread, now that’s hard.

Photo above taken in Bamberg at Christmas 2008. Tiny bakery, only 2 customers at a time at the counter, and the next has to wait on a bench. The bakery has also received recognition from a German fine food magazine. Photo inset on the right, I was waiting for my turn to enter and used this time to make the photo of the bread on display.

And speaking of bread, this was displayed proudly in the window of a bakery in Forchheim where I spent a week one new year. This certificate from the national bakers’ academy is a huge honour.

I have read somewhere bread is the food Germans abroad miss the most. I would, too.

2 Likes

Love that saying @Presunto. Very true, too.

1 Like