Food & drink sayings

Are there some you like? And do you agree with the sayings? Well, some of them are not totally true.

There are many sayings containing Wurst (“vOOrst”!) and beer in German language, and sometimes they have nothing to do with food or beer.

I shall start with 2:

• Every pound you gain goes via the mouth. (Dutch saying) (Roughly translated, in Dutch the words for pound and mouth rhyme)

• When wine goes down, words go up. (Portuguese)

1 Like

My Dutch neighbor here in the U.S. uses a couple of expressions that I appreciate. I’m not sure if these are popular sayings or simply clever phrases. Fun with words, either way.

• They bought it “for an apple and an egg.” Meaning that something was had for a cheap price.

• “The dog won’t eat it.” She uses this to refer to money or something else whose practical value is overrated—it can’t be eaten.

“For an apple and an egg” fits the culture well. Dutch people want a lot for little.

I think the dog one translates from (literally) “of that the dogs won’t eat bread” saying. It’s an old one and not really used much nowadays. Meaning it’s not worth it, or it’s not worth your while.

1 Like

Makes perfect sense. She’s been in the U.S. a great many years. More years than I am old, and I’m no spring chicken.

1 Like

To good eating belongs good drinking. (German proverb)

Apparently this is a proverb but I have not found a German source or the original quote in German. I like it.

Some people drink cola or other kinds of soft drink with a savoury meal. OK. To each their own.

A couple that come to mind, but don’t know the provenance:

An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Once past the lips, forever on the hips.

One from my FIL’s Greek Orthodox funeral, conducted by an Eastern Orthodox priest (Romanian):

Loosely quoted, he said there’s a saying in Romania that the first glass of wine is from god, but the second glass was from the devil. As soon as appropriate after the service, I whispered to the in-laws that god loved me, and was going to make my first glass of wine a Texas Tumbler. I’m bad! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

2 apples a day keeps the cardiologist away.

It’s quite OK to eat 2 apples a day. I remember reading about it some time ago.

There’s a similar saying in Dutch:

Herring in the hand, doctor to the side. (Translated literally. In Dutch, the words hand and side half rhyme)

1 Like

@Presunto, I’ve read there’s an enzyme or something in the skins of what we call Granny Smith apples, that’s especially beneficial for gut and general health. Since I detest apple skins, I always try to include a Granny apple into smoothies to get that benefit. Apparently tart green apple skin is the main source of it!

1 Like

That’s the way the cookie crumbles
Have your cake and eat it too
To have all your eggs in one basket
There’s no use crying over spilled milk

3 Likes

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." Henny Youngman

4 Likes

:rofl: :innocent:

Some healthy food guide articles say “reduce cheese/dairy consumption to just 1 miniscule portion a week”, an advice which I immediately dismiss.

Yeah, I find the skin of some types of apples a bit like plastic. I’ve started blending fruits this year. The dentist says I eat so much fruits my teeth are paying the price.

Yikes, I’ve been down that particular dental road due to too much acid. You don’t want to go there, I assure you @Presunto.

Thanks. I’m learning to cope with eating less fruit and how to best eat them.

Wine-producing and wine-drinking countries all have their wine proverbs.

Hungary is the world’s biggest goose, foie gras and duck producer. Must go back to Hungary. Good food and wine, not to mention the price. (And one of the top receivers of my taxes)

25 euros for this meal (goose legs and seared foir gras, Sauerkraut) including 2 small glasses of wine. At home you can eat at Macca’s and more if you want alcohol.

3 Likes

Just thought of another Couple food and wine sayings:

Fish should swim twice - once in the ocean, and the next in Sherry.

About champagne:

Come quickly, I’m tasting the stars - erroneously attributed to Dom Pérignon.

The fish saying is one of my favourites. If I remember it correctly it’s originally in French, apparently.

• A fish must swim 3 times. In water, in butter, and in wine.
1 Like

Yes! You are right about the fish quote, and I’d forgotten about the butter part!

Thought of another you’ve surely heard:

You have Champagne taste on a beer budget.

It’s Polish proverb, not French.

1 Like

https://monarch-beverage.com/limited-edition-miller-high-life-champagne-bottles/

1 Like

A few French ones.

• It’s the end of beans
    C’est la fin des haricots
    It’s the end, there’s nothing left.

• The carrots are cooked
    les carottes sont cuites
    Nothing can be done to change it, like in English the goose is cooked

• It’s not tart
    Ce n’est pas de la tarte
    It isn’t easy

• Make a whole cheese about it