Food & drink sayings

LOL! In here, noodle or nouille means stupid, dumb, idiot, naive…

2 Likes

Too funny @naf, here it means use your brain! Kind of outdated, I don’t hear it much anymore.

JPY5400 = EUR42/US$50
100gr = 3.5 oz

Market stall in Osaka on my last day:

Also my last meal in Japan at the same market stall. 6 weeks of eating nothing but Japanese food and I didn’t miss my own food.

4 Likes

This Russian saying has 2 meanings. One is about food and the other is about wanting more the more you have (material things, greed etc).

I should have bought a jar of fish guts. Photo taken in Hakone, Japan.

Learnt of this Japanese food philosophy in a food magazine many years ago.

Home-style cooking at a guest house where I stayed on Iriomote island (Okinawa archipelago). Every meal was beautifully presented, not just at this guest house but at all the guest houses and restaurants.

1 Like

Hung in the restaurant run by the owner of my lodging in Rothenburg, Germany. “Speck” rhymes with “Zweck”.

Love alone is not enough, my dear.

1 Like

Especially this bread! “90% rye, 10% wheat with natural sourdough, without caraway seeds (I don’t like surprises). Baked twice as long, powerful aroma.” One of the many reasons I love visiting Germany.

Schwarzviertel is the historic old part of the village. Photo taken in pretty village called Miltenberg where I spent a week. The tiny Christmas market was outside my lodging.

The beer lover me likes this saying. "Never forget (this)! 6 beers = 1 food

And these are the beers I drank at this fantastic craft beer bar in Montreal. If I make it back to Montreal I will go straight here.

I would translate it as “6 beers = a meal.”

Ja, indeed. Thanks.

1 Like

I was thinking it might be a Weight Watcher reference. I guess those are “points”, but for minutes I was thinking “hmmmm”.

I won’t eat my beloved Granny Smiths if they don’t have the skin. It’s one of my favorite things- with the skin, and raw, but cooked is okay, too!

I would have said german food was bad too, until I was in Bavaria and enjoying the wondrous food there

There’s a Mexican saying- “It is better to arrive in time for dinner than to be invited”

3 Likes

Maybe BCC can translates this so that it makes more sense…? I think there’s a reference to something but am unable to find any.

"Have a drink in the evening
Tomorrow put on makeup for work!"

1 Like

The only thing I can see in it is the rhyme of ‘trinken’ and ‘schminken’.

Yeah. I could not think of anything, either. Or, my idea of a drink in the evening is the amount shown in the photo :laughing:

I got this postcard in Nürnberg many years ago.

Thanks, again.

1 Like

You know, it MAY mean, one can have fun in the evening, the next morning … back to work.

That was my original idea, but the partner said putting on makeup the next morning to mask the evidence of the drinking the night before.

1 Like

German friend who lives in Switzerland says it means drink hard in the evening and put on makeup for work in the morning. The partner said the same thing originally.

Another one this week: cross out “cheer” and “song” for me. I am not a social animal.

2 Likes

It’s not easy to concentrate on a mentally demanding task after a heavy meal. A Latin saying.

Where I live we could also use it to describe a certain event in history. After stealing resources from countries that couldn’t fight back, which made us so rich and powerful. The end of the “golden age” was a combination of several factors but 2 of the reasons were we got lazy and we made bad financial decisions. Now we still pay through the nose.

1 Like

Hungarian proverb and English equivalent.

Photo taken in Lhasa, Tibet on the afternoon of our arrival. I was astonished seeing the huge flame. Turned out it’s normal in China, after my 3 trips. Our first dinner in Lhasa, with 2 other tourists who stayed at the same guest house in Chengdu. We never saw them at the guest house in Chengdu but they were on the same flight to Lhasa. We all took the same van from the airport into town, and decided to go to the same hotel. One is a Brit and the other is Swede, both are teachers. I have met a lot of teachers in my travels.

However, this isn’t what we ordered for dinner. We shared a big bowl of a Sichuan dish called something like “water boil beef” and twice-cook pork belly. We spent 12 wonderful, if cold, days in Tibet early March, 2006. One of the best travel experiences which I still treasure.

1 Like