Food & drink sayings

Haha… that’s better. Both orders are really OK.

One night in the capital of Albania where I drank beer, wine and home-made Albanian booze (raki). I got so sick later the same night and thought I was dying. Promised myself I would never mix alcohol again.

1 Like

So agree with you here. One of my friends is religious about never mixing alcohols once you start with one. Always thought it was BS from a fairly young age. Hydration and adequate food IME, can make a big difference when (over) imbibing @small_h.

I’m sure you probably realize what happened @Presunto. When alcohol is cheap or crude or simply not filtered enough it can indeed make you very sick. ‘‘Twas probably the homemade raki, if I had to guess.

When H turned 40, I threw him a big party at a Lebanese resto, which had excellent food. Unfortunately we were drinking some rot gut Central European wine, can’t remember where from at this point. We did eat and drink with gusto, but 3 of us were so sick the following day, we also thought we were dying. Including our good friend/neighbor. The joke became who was going to get the 45 out first and shoot whom to relieve us of the misery, which lasted all day and into the evening.

The 2 kids were fairly young also, can’t remember if we parked them in front of the TV or if they played at friends. Our neighbor did rally enough to cook, and had us over. It was a pretty quiet dinner, with no ETOH. Of that, I’m certain.

2 Likes

I often start my evening with a mixed drink or a beer, and then go on to drink wine, without incident. But I can definitely see swearing off something because you associate it with nausea. My dad tells a story about having the flu on a day when his mother was baking Swedish rye bread. 70ish years later, he still won’t eat it, but I feel safe in saying that Swedish rye bread does not, in itself, make you sick.

2 Likes

Never have problem mixing alcohol, even recently. Problem came when drinking too much or too tired.

That’s a weird belief in the Swedish rye bread, can your dad eat other types of rye bread?

Not too familiar with Raki, is it similar to Pastis or Anisette, all of them have anise and drink with water and ice.

1 Like

Not a belief - he was really sick that day, and he could also smell the rye bread baking. So he cannot help but associate the one with the other, whether he wants to or not. He’s fine with regular rye bread.

1 Like

Yes, also very much like Ouzo @naf.

Have had that happen too @small_h - the aversions can last years or decades, never had one that lasted more than 10-20 years though. Split pea soup, and a once favorite veggie pizza from a local place we like. Can eat both now, again.

Might not be quite on topic but something weird happened to me in terms of aversion - after going through chemo for stage 3 breast cancer 11 years ago I have not been able to tolerate any smoked foods. I really miss bacon, smoked salmon, ham, BBQ and chipotle. My oncologist was very puzzled by it. My stomach just clenches and says “you’re not coming in here” - makes it hard to work around a menu when we eat out.

Congratulations on overcoming the cancer.

1 Like

Thank you. It was a bitch of a long haul.

1 Like

I can totally understand that @retrospek; sorry you had to go through the ordeal. What’s interesting to me is that your head wants it but your stomach doesn’t. Most typically it seems the head and gut are in sync, and neither want it. :thinking:

It’s visceral. I even have problems with smoke in the air if it’s for long.

That is interesting, the tie in with the smoked foods, or smoke in the air. Do you remember smelling wood fire or bbq when you were really sick from the chemo @retrospek?

Treatment plays havoc with major organs over time. My sister in law never experienced a reversal of nerve damage to her hands and feet after treatment for colon cancer at 52 yrs of age. The list of foods she can’t enjoy any longer is fairly long.

The good news is better health and clean recovery. Best to you and your continued good health @retrospek.

2 Likes

My ex-colleagues used to shriek with terror whenever I ate this. My lunches used to be topics of their conversations, often with patronising disdain or overenthusiastic (fake) amazement. I offered them some and kept on enjoying my Bovril with excellent aged cheese.

Refrain from yakking others’ yum.

Unfortunately, I have long run out of Bovril and have been using Marmite. Need to find and online source. I brought enough Bobril back from the UK to last me so long. Have Bovril cubes for gravy but they are not meant for using on bread.

No, I don’t recall that. I went through chemo in the winter. Only able to tolerate bland food throughout that time. It was less than a year when I started to eat a wider variety of food that I discovered a problem with smoke.

1 Like

@retrospek, illness can indeed cause wonky aversions, and worse even. Especially so for those who’ve had to have radiation, and/or chemo, it seems.

Unfortunately I’ve experienced it too, but for different reasons. Will try to keep this somewhat short.

Basically was on and off oral antibiotics for most of 2019. They made me very sick, and tore up my entire GI tract, including my mouth. I lost my palate almost entirely, developed burning mouth, in which even a slice of combo pizza was too hot, as in spicy. Because I felt sick most of the time, lost my appetite too, as well as developed some major aversions.

Happy to say my palate came back, even more acutely than before (I’m one of those for better or worse) and thankfully am back to eating the super spicy food I love. The aversions have gone away, except for the ice cream one. Seriously! :joy_cat:

Although I’m cured of the serious illness I had early this year, I’m only about 60% back in terms of energy and stamina. I hope I’m able to regain strength over time.

I hope your aversions are the worst of what you live with now. Sadly, serious illness changes all of us to varying degrees.

But to happiness and good heath, and living our best lives, no matter what!
:hibiscus::palm_tree::sunglasses:

5 Likes

My grandmother would say: “Apple pie without cheese is like a hug without a squeeze”.

The American version I have heard of the German booze-mixing aphorism above is “Liquor before beer, never fear. Beer before liquor, never sicker”.

(My guess is that all of the booze-mixing warnings come from the fact that people who mix alcohol are probably drinking a lot of it.)

2 Likes