Food & drink sayings

Ingenious marketing. I like the glasses but don’t know what to use them for, surely not for drinks.

They first used this Champagne-style bottle back in 1903. I found this:

A few more French ones:

• I will tell you who you are, if you tell what you eat
    Dis-moi ce que tu manges, je te dirai qui tu es.
    You are what you eat

• You can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs
    On ne fait pas d’omelette sans casser des œufs.
    You can’t be successful without making a few sacrifices.

1 Like

When something is good, or you’re being sarcastic about it being good, it’s “peachy.”

2 Likes

And “toasty” when we are cozy and comfortable.

2 Likes

Re melons
‘Eat it alone or leave it alone’

Austrians and Swiss love to hate Germany and everything in it, including the cuisine. Well, I like Germany and everything in it, including the cuisine. I also feel the same about Austria and Switzerland.

A country whose cuisine is unfairly disparaged, are wine-producing competent, and the food is as varied as the geography and dialects. They have this saying:

3 Likes

Add music and I’ll join you in that belief.

2 Likes

Don’t know where it comes from originally, but:

Your goose is cooked now

Meaning you’re in for it now, or you’ve gotten yourself into a bad situation

Easy as pie
To go bananas
Apple of my eye
Spill the beans
Butter someone up

1 Like

But the wine in your picture is French!

@bcc: I use that photo because it has both food and wine that’s best consumed together. Next photo has only German wine, when I do drink white wine…

Another German saying (not a poetic translation by yours truly but it’s literally what the saying means):

1 Like

@Presunto, I think German food gets a bad rap. I’ve had bad (the fault of the cook only) and good, and I love good German food. Quite underrated and under appreciated in this part of the world, IMO.

3 Likes

Another one:

Worth your salt

Bier auf Wein, lass das sein; Wein auf Bier, das rate ich dir.

Yes, I translated the saying from that.

But, has anyone tested this theory? Some people did and concluded the order of alcohol didn’t matter. Drink too much and have a hangover the next day all the same.

1 Like

I agree.

Reminded me of

Beer on whiskey
Mighty risky
Whiskey on beer
Never fear

1 Like

Yeah, same thing and it rhymes like the German version (BBC posts it 2 replies above).

It doesn’t. You body does not have a magical way to distinguish beer-alcohol from wine-alcohol. In my (vast) experience, sugary drinks (like negronis), salty drinks (like bloody marys), and red wine are more likely to give me a hangover, because they tend to be dehydrating.

A similar saying is “Never mix the grain and the grape,” which some of my friends treat as gospel.

I actually made up a second version of the saying:

Wein auf Bier, das rate ich dir;
Bier auf Wein ist auch sehr fein.