Food Advertising Jingles of Yore : TV and Radio

What were the food jingles you heard growing up?
I remember from the 60’s: “Don’t cook tonight, call Chicken Delight!” and in the 70’s : The ringing of the bell for Taco Bell, the McDonald’s “…two all beef patties…” and Burger King’s "…have it your way… " and Rodney Allen Rippy in the Jack in the Box ads. Pizza jingles came later, but I can’t remember a one. I grew up on the west coast, the ads you remember my also be regional.

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

the first thing that came to mind was this regional commercial voiced by none other than Tom Carvel (not a jingle):

the ice cream was lousy in retrospect, but it had this crunchy ribbon in between layers that kids really loved.

and there’s the can sale at shop-rite

7 Likes

While this isn’t a jingle, I saw this ad yesterday for the first time and it really impressed me. Not only is it a great ad, the product looks delicious and the packaging is innovative

I knew of the “Sherry” name from NY’s famous “Sherry-Netherland Hotel”, but I didn’t know that Louis Sherry had made ice cream. Apparently they still make chocolates which seem to be quite pricey!

3 Likes
2 Likes

I’d like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony.
I’d like to buy the world a Coke,
and keep it company.

5 Likes

don drapers greatest work

2 Likes

:notes::musical_note:Rice a Roni - the San Francisco Treat!

Beef a Ronii’s Really neat, Beef a Roni’s good to eat, hooray for Beef a Roni! :musical_note::notes:

That’s all that comes up for now, but so many more.

3 Likes

N E S T L E S Nestles (sic) makes the very best chawwwwwwclet

I’m a Pepper, He’s a Pepper, She’s a Pepper, we’re a Pepper, wouldn’t you like to be a Pepper, too?

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t. Almond Joy’s got nuts, Mounds don’t. Almond Joy’s got real milk chocolate, coconut, and crunchy nuts too (memory crashes)

3 Likes

Not a jingle but …

7 Likes

Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is!

5 Likes

I loved that little boy fishing singing the Oscar Mayer bologna song. And yes to both Carvel and Shop Rite’s Can Can sale!

For me, the Doublemint Gum commercials:

the early 1970s Coca Cola Commercial:

Rice-A-Roni with the San Francisco streetcars (although I remember this in color):

5 Likes

“everybody goes to Gino’s” for a Baltimore/DC hamburger chain…

“Dr Pepper is the friendly pepper-upper… “. Heard it often when I was visiting my southern grandparents.

1 Like

I took a marketing class once, and that Alka Seltzer commercial was a case study showing a commercial that was very successful by many measures but was a resounding flop by the most important. A sizable percentage of people remembered the commercial in a marketing survey, but most of them thought it was for a pasta sauce!

2 Likes

Sung by Farfel the dog puppet!

6 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

Wednesday is Prince Spaghetti Day. Anthony!! Anthony!!

5 Likes

A slogan not a jingle: Tuesday is Red’s Tamales Day! Both my parents would say that if anybody asked what day it was and it was Tuesday.

2 Likes