Food Advertising Jingles of Yore : TV and Radio

Liking the notion of Tamale Tuesday for a change.

That’s what Campbell soups are! M’m! M’m! Good!

Time to make the Donuts:

for short and sweet:

Barry Manilow claimed that the “By Mennen” tag was note-for-note the most valuable thing he’d ever written.

And finally, a Chicago great gone national:

3 Likes

Drink, not food, but I absolutely loved this obit of a jazz singer who recorded an iconic jingle:

“When I sang ‘Weekends were made for Michelob,’ they asked me to add a ‘Yeah’ at the end,” she told The Boston Herald in 1997. “And then they tacked that ‘Yeah’ of mine onto every Michelob commercial for seven years. Even when Brook Benton and Vic Damone sang the jingle, it was my ‘Yeah’ at the end. It became a very nice annuity.”

1 Like

I had to go listen to several of the commercials because I couldn’t remember it…until I heard it.

And I was laughing at finding one with “Charlie” doing the voiceover (because we never saw him!) with one of his Angels cast in the commercial.

2 Likes

He’ll always be Blake Carrington to me!

1 Like

I barely remember that one, but I remember singing this one relentlessly as a young child.

4 Likes

Yikes. We’ve been to San Francisco more than once – actually quite a number of times – to eat. Not once were we offered Rice-A-Roni. Even as a joke. Power of marketing we guess. (P.S. we’ve never tasted the “treat” after all is said.)

But wait ! There’s more ! Across the San Francisco Bay we once trailed an Oscar Meyer WienerMobile on a freeway (no mistaking the un-aerodynamic coachwork), likely off to the next promotional gig.

So there !

But wait ! There’s even more:

1 Like

Ha ha - yes, you won’t be finding that in SF restos for sure, but gifted Rice-a-Roni would be funny! I LOVED it as a kid, in that salty kind of chicken boullion sort of way, like that Lipton dried chicken noodle soup too. Neither were ever in my childhood home, but rarely - these cravings were sometimes sated at other kid’s houses though. Rice salads seemed to have a heyday in the 80’s I think, and there was a Rice-a-Roni version that was weirdly delicious, at least to me. The version I had included mayonnaise, marinated artichoke hearts, black olives, maybe some finely sliced green onion and perhaps celery too. You could also add chunks of chicken if desired. Oh, also curry powder in there. It was a decent potluck offering BITD. I made it one time, but it didn’t meet with enthusiastic reviews from my family. I should make it for a retro picnic or something.

This song/jingle, whatever is a long time favorite. Which I can also say of the gum and for the band. All classics!

2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

I can’t believe I didn’t remember this earlier.

4 Likes

What’s good enough for other folks, ain’t good enough for me 'n my RC…

2 Likes

Can’t find a link to this exact one but in the '50s Nucoa had a jingle that proclaimed Nucoa, a margarine, the “new ubiquitous comestible”. I remember it because I learned two new very sophisticated words.

1 Like

Weird, that’s not the Carvel ad I grew up seeing in RI. The voice was more gravelly, rougher, almost short-breathed, dare I say with more personality. Was it Tom Carvel when he was older?

1 Like

yes it was. he famously voiced all the commercials done during his lifetime. Sadly, he passed away only a few months after retirement. a kid’s birthday party was not complete back in the day unless a Carvel cake was served.

In Tom’s opinion ”you can have a six-foot-tall handsome announcer with a perfect voice, perfect diction, perfect grammar. But very few ice-cream buyers look like that. Our commercials are for the people who look like us, talk like us, and sound like us.”

3 Likes