Flavorful roast chicken recipes

I just prepared a whole chicken using a recipe off the Jewish Food Society website. There are several with interesting spice rub ideas.

Chicken in milk is another i have tried. Moist bird rather than water poaching.

1 Like

Another vote for chicken cooked in milk. I’ve kept coming back to this classic Jamie Oliver recipe. Fantastic mix of lemon zest, cinnamon, garlic, sage and milk.

2 Likes

Chinese white-cooked chicken and soy sauce chicken are my exceptions to water poaching - both wonderful in different ways. (And that green sauce is addictive.)

1 Like

Probably a similar outcome, but my mom makes yogurt chicken like this.

1 Like

The basic roast chicken I grew up with is gently spiced - whole spices cooked with the chicken, not rubbed. And some aromatics.

Tandoori chicken cooked in an oven is just spiced roast chicken.

I like musakhan a lot - main seasoning is sumac.

But if it’s a really special chicken, I just go with Thomas Keller’s high heat simple roast chicken - only salt & pepper, and it really showcases the chicken.

1 Like

I didn’t know about the Jewish Food Society website. That looks like a good, interesting resource! Were you thinking of this recipe? There’s also this one, though it calls for potatoes and I’ve been avoiding them because I try to do low-carb (yet I’ve gained a few pounds since March, probably because although I try my best to take 2- to 3-mile walks at least every other day I’m sitting around more than I did when I was working).

Interesting recipe and does seem counter-intuitive to me.

1 Like

Yes that’s the recipe. The spice combo really worked and covering all the skin with it key to that delicious crispy skin. The website is a gem!

1 Like

Za’atar Roasted Chicken over Sumac Potatoes I have also made. Great dish. With or without the taters.

1 Like

New to me, and not yet tried, but fascinating is Jamie Oliver’s Chicken roasted in milk. This will be my next roast chicken.

1 Like

The chicken in milk recipe is a must try, looks very interesting. For us, roast chicken is Martha’s recipe

The skin is excellent but the onions on the bottom of the pan are the best part of the meal. Its makes a really good gravy but we usually just use it all as a pan sauce. Often there are mashed potatoes involved.
We also skip the butter and use EVO on the skin with S&P. And use one lemon not two.
Now I want roast chicken :chicken:

1 Like

Oh yeah…those onions!

1 Like

Onions in the roasting pan with the chicken are a requirement for me.

I usually make a Greek-style roast chicken with lemon and oregano, or a roast chicken using a spice blend my butcher (Sanagans Meatlocker in Toronto ) sells. I also have a German roast chicken blend from Schubeck’s in Munich.

I’ve been happy with 2 different Vietnamese roast chicken recipes.

I am making an Italian roast chicken tonight, with the herbs and spices in this recipe. I won’t cook in under a brick.

Mimi Thorisson’s Roast Chicken wth herbs and creme fraiche Is distinctive while being classic A lovely dish.

2 Likes

Here’s a photo of that chicken recipe:

3 Likes

I just remembered: I usually use Marcella Hazan’s recipe: Roasted Chicken with 2 Lemon but decided to try this recipe. The only change I made was to start the chicken breast side down, as in the Hazan recipe. I think it makes the breast meat more moist and that’s what I like to eat.

1 Like

My favorite these days is Samin Nosrat’s buttermilk-marinated roast chicken. It’s simple & always comes out great. I no longer rub the chicken with salt before marinating in the buttermilk, as the marinade is plenty salty.

Zuni-based roast chicken: salt all over, refrigerate overnight, warm to room temperature, slip some butter under the breast skin, and into the oven at 550F. It cooks quickly, so keep an eye on it.

1 Like

My “recipe” is super basic–sprinkle the inside and the outside liberally with garlic powder. Then roast.

(When I make roast chicken for Passover, I have enough other things to prepare to keep the chicken simple.)

3 Likes