Flattened By The Flu? Appetite Or No?

That theres what you really need–a St Bernard leaning on you to provide some solicitous love. They’re known for that! (and uncontrollable drooling. :heart_eyes:)

3 Likes

Please bear with me here; this is NOT a gambit for sympathy, but rather a way to express my increasing frustration.

I’ve been catching up on the WFD thread, and oh my, what beautiful food ya’ll have been cooking. It’s like the bar has been raised to a new and lofty height! I truly hope to be posting my efforts again soon.

Due to complications from the flu, this is my 67th day of being sick and week 7 of IV antibiotics - three different ones. At this point I think the infection is gone and the cure is what’s making me sick :face_with_head_bandage:

In any case, I haven’t cooked anything since Christmas Eve! Except the pan of popcorn I decided to burn🍿…Or even done any kitchen work, shopping or laundry. H has really stepped up in amazing ways. (The mid and picc lines in my arms have to be treated with care - no lifting, pushing, repetitive motion.)

I’m just so ready to be cooking again! Suppose I should start a list of things I want to make, but at this point, don’t even know if I still have my mojo. Fingers crossed. The jam supply is exhausted, and family members are clamoring for it, with the caveat of when I’m well and able to do it.

Hopefully when they pull the picc line, and I’m no longer infusing, I’ll even get my appetite back. It’s been off and on this entire time, but mostly off. Anyway, thanks for listening, and I hope cooking is a reality in the next few days. :stew:

12 Likes

Take care of yourself first, Lambchop. Nothing else matters!
Thoughts for healing and restoration being sent your way in this post.

5 Likes

Well said!

Good that you are getting better. Don’t stress yourself, take your time. For a start, simple rewarding comfort food will be the best. Lovely H!

I’ve to say, virus is getting frightening these days.

3 Likes

Yes, taking care of yourself is job #1, @Lambchop. Cooking is patient, right? It’ll be there for you whenever you are good and ready.

1 Like

Thank you for this update, You are having a season of Job . I have to wonder if your comment made in humor isn’t possibly prescient. Do discuss your treatment with your doctor(s) and make sure they are aware of your discomfort. Antibiotics are our friends until they aren’t.

4 Likes

Thanks for your advice all! Hopefully my next posts will be in the WFD thread, although my attempts may start out on the humble side - maybe a nice soup or stew…

3 Likes

Oh no!!! What a tough journey! (And you are not whining, you are sharing. Big diff.)

Pics lines even on their own are tough. (A blessing but, tough.) Add in the infusing and the stress that puts on your body - oy. Do tell your doctors about the reaction to the meds. They need to know. And do they have you on an probiotics? There are some very specific heavy duty ones that can really help after certain meds.

And don’t worry. Your cooking mojo may not be perfect the first few times but after that? It will come back. The most important thing is to take care of YOU. Keep us all posted!

1 Like

Oh. That’s a long journey back to good health, hope you are almost there.

The “cure” definitely has an impact - my mom has a terrible reaction to antibiotics.

As you mend, may I suggest a strong probiotic to restore what the antibiotics have wiped out? Someone suggested Garden of Life and parental reviews have been positive. (amazon link as I recently learned it helps HO keep the lights on).

And rest. So much rest, even though you’re probably fed up of resting!

2 Likes

take care of yourself
I have been rather sick the last 2 years, developed autoimmune disease, which is the source of my chronic allergy - in the form of diabetes and chronic hives, severe. Then in October 2018, was diagnosed with alpha gal which mean I got bitten by a lone star tick, can no. longer eat red meat ( animals with hoofs) Out of state allergist consulted Sept 4, told me no more ibuprofen nor baby aspirin. Since then, my joints from Osteoporosis has been hurting to the point I could not stand up. I cook when my son is here but can hardly hold my camera to take pictures. Meds prescribed in Sept by new allergist was withdrawn from market in January ( cancer scare). So, I just bought a paratherapy. paraffin for my hands and elbows, and can work in the garden a bit but shoulder and other joints still hurts. Life goes on and hope you get better soon. With son away, I cooked a batch of Chinese congee that lasted me a week. Full of Unami , ground chicken, vege and lots of spices. Just microwave . I also love spicy moroccan sardines. I eat it with rice, crackers whatever as it is really really good. Yesterday, tried to copy Bittman’s glorification of th lowly tinned sardines. I like them spicy, the Portuguese , Spanish or Moroccan ones with cucumber, pepper, Evoo fits the bill. I bought a case of 50 which I posted on HO. They are cheaper than the Portuguese ones and just as good, shipped from Ca dealer. If interested,I will dig up her email address. She is Chinese and friendly.

5 Likes

@Happybaker - yes to the probiotics and letting my medical team know of any complaint with my body that’s not usual. Labs are drawn weekly (or even more often) to ensure levels aren’t too high of this latest big gun they’ve pulled out of the pharmaceutical arsenal. As well, making sure my organs are handling it. ( I became allergic/intolerant to the first two anti -b’s.) Again, thanks for your concern and advice!

2 Likes

Thanks @Saregama - I clicked on the link and ordered the probiotics you suggested, as well as a prebiotic. I’ve been eating lots of yogurt too, since it’s one of the few things that appeals to me. And yes, I feel especially proactive about getting my gut biome back in order, especially in light of the scary new virus making its way around. Not panicking at all, just want to be as healthy as possible in case. Oh and I also ordered some elderflower extract while I was at it. A friend swears it helps keep her healthy.
At this rate I wouldn’t be above buying snake oil :snake: lol.

Good health to you now and for your upcoming travel. BTW, very impressed with your cooking and experiments lately!

2 Likes

So sorry you struggle with your chronic diseases as well as suffering the joint and bone pain. I’ve got osteo arthritis and always considered ibuprofen to be a miracle drug for that. Unfortunately I can’t take it anymore, ever, nor any type of NSAID, which leaves drugs like Celebrex and Meloxicam out of the question as well. And, I very much dislike putting acetaminophen through my liver.

Thanks for your recommendation on the sardines - an excellent source of omega 3’s I’m sure. I’ll have to buy a can to see if I like them. I have had them before of course, but it’s been a long time, since I became averse to them as a young child.

Your cooking amazes me, and I’m glad you can nourish yourself so well and tastily! Does your son show any interest in learning to cook? If so, he might be able to help you put on the big parties. We can only do so much, and things get harder as we get older (damnit!!)

Take care of yourself @ccj. I do know your babies are well taken care of and living in the lap of luxury. They deserve no less! :dog::dog:

2 Likes

Not snake oil.but you’ve certainly heard me go on and on about turmeric… I’ll be loading up before I get on a plane :pray:t3:

You know, I’ve been meaning to incorporate more turmeric into my diet, even if it involves supplements. I worked for a nutraceutical company for 12 years, and turmeric was contained within a lot of supplements as well as medical foods. Employees working on the line or in the blending department were completely yellow in their haz mat uniforms. I do need to get on that bandwagon. Thanks for the reminder!