First cookbooks you used as an adult

Nephew (Ethan Becker). Full disclosure I am one of the passionate admirers of the original book (esp. the 1975 edition, which is a masterpiece) and strongly disliked the 1997 edition. Since I am a completist I did pick up a copy of the 1997 JOC eventually in a thrift store.

I suppose my main objection was that the rewrite no longer seemed like a family project - or family argument, as the previous Irma vs. Marion editions had been. I still don’t care for it but it’s not a bad overall book. Which sections did your friend work on, if you are able to say?

2 Likes

This was my mom’s, although I don’t recall her cooking from it.

I had a New York Times one too, also my mom’s, but this one followed me everywhere, grease stains and all. I think I’ve had this for at least 40 years.

My husband of 30+ year’s would say this recipe was behind a “bait and switch”.

5 Likes

I’m not sure and I haven’t seen her in years. She was one of a group that did, though. I knew here when she was working on it. She has since moved to Mexico.

1 Like

Though not books, my mother, maternal and paternal grandmothers …

Alain Ducasse
The Late Paul Bocuse
Julia Child
Luis Irizar - Basque Cuisine

2 Likes

What are your favourite dishes? I have a few recipes of Bocuse and Ducasse, they are more for restaurant preparations than home cooking.

1 Like

Naf,

To answer your question, I do not have “a favorite dish”. I have favorite cuisines in which I enjoy tremendously, and alot depends on the season, the availability of product and whether we are home or we are dining out. Or travelling.

A Traditional Specialty at home with family:
Perhaps, the Girona, “arròs de perlès” = a tiny round Pearl shaped rice which is used to prepare a shellfish or seafood rice dish based on “sofrito” (tomato, shallot or sweet Galician onion, red and green capsium pepper,
broth from prawn stock and White wine.
It is a Catalan Paella, (arròs caldoso con bogavante) and it is quite different in texture but the general ingredients are the same except the rice is quite different in texture and taste and served with fresh seasonal lobster and King crab.

Mediterreanean shellfish, fish, seafood
Tapas / Pintxos = Basque for Tapas
Traditional regional Spanish and Catalan
Risotto
Pasta
Regional Italian traditional authentic dishes
The French Classics
Regional Classics of the Portuguese Fishing Villages
Greek Mezze
Japanese - Nigriri & Sashimi
Lebanese
Syrian
Indo Chine (Cambodian)
Traditional Peruvian
Tandoor Prawns

4 Likes

Many years ago I had planned to become a Chef, and studied at the Ducasse Culinary Academy, and The Institute of Paul Bocuse in Lyon.

Immensely I enjoy the culinary arts and at home cooking, however, not as a Profession however, the experience was incredible !

8 Likes

and good cooks never lack friends.

3 Likes

I love this thread.

3 Likes

Mrs. Babur Singh’s Indian Cookery. I stole it from my mum. I tried to cook some recipes but it’s complicated and requires too many ingredients.

2 Likes

Perhaps you should have followed this path. You continue to have the sensibilities I look for from favored hosts.

2 Likes

I have to say, while at some point it seemed like a passion I should follow, I think being a consumer is better for me, and I hope for others.

3 Likes

I found that out. I studied at what was then Peter Kump’s in NYC. Now I’m a consumer again!!!

4 Likes

Me too. People have asked why I didn’t go to cooking school and become a chef. My answer is - I never wanted to work in a kitchen. I waitressed for a time. I didn’t need to read Anthony Bourdain’s Kitchen Confidential to tell me what hell it is.

4 Likes

Also on Mom’s cookbook shelf were a series of large-format paperback cookbooks (8x10") put out by Sunset Magazine: Casseroles, Salads, Chinese Food, Soups & Stews. Anyone else remember those? I have them still in my own kitchen.

5 Likes

Lots here in the West. Those are great basic resources. I like the Ortho/Chevron paperbacks that are similar.

Atlanta Cooknotes, which I bought around 1991, which I used a lot in my 20s

and Molly O’Neill’s New York Cookbook, which I’ve been using since I bought it in 1998.

2 Likes

Is the Atlanta cookbook a high society Junior League or a down home Southern collection?
I love Junior League cookbooks of all stripes, but especially the Southern ones.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

@bbqboy it’s a Junior League cookbook. It’s awesome. I also have Junior cookbook from Lafayette, Louisiana (Talk About Good!).

And this cookbook from San Antonio

I have brought home cookbooks from most places I’ve travelled over the last 30 years.

Most of the parties I hosted, and birthday dinners I made , in my 20s and early 30s featured food from one of those 4 cookbooks.

6 Likes

1971 Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library Avocado Green plastic box was in our kitchen pantry along with a few Time Life books. I think my sister inherited the TL books. No idea where the avocado box landed. I found this photo on ebay.

6 Likes