Fire Extinguisher and what to bring?

1. No extinguisher, but smoke detector on all floors.

2. Do you have wooden spoon to cook? If yes, the following (if no, then replace it with the mixing bowl)
    Chef knife / chop board / 28 cm frying pan that can go into the oven / kitchen scale/ mixing bowl

Hi Chem,

I got an extinguisher just outside the kitchen door–checked yearly, and updated as needed.

Smoke detector, too, that works too well.

Can’t imagine starting over.

Ray

1 Like

In typical HO fashion, your ideas are inspiring. I now want knife, board, rondeau, tongs, and a ceramic marmite that could double as a bowl.

I have 2 fire extinguishers in my kitchen. One under the sink where the “chemicals” live and another on the counter top tucked behind the microwave. Smoke and CO detectors everywhere- per city code if something needs to be permitted (such as new hot water heater or such) they need to check all your detectors as well before the inspector will sign off. Knock on wood never needed them- should have used the extinguisher on the grill fire a few years back but called the fire department as I had just put a new propane tank on the grill and I was worried it would blow up.

As far as moving to a new place, I have 7 weeks to empty and pack up my kitchen before a complete reno. First things I will un pack in the temporary lodging:

iPad and charger
phone/charger
corkscrew
(order takeout)

4 Likes

Dual use marmite. Excellent planning!

How about a martini pitcher or shaker?

1 Like
  1. I have one under the sink. Never know. Hate to need one and not have it.

2. 10" CI, Kiwi 21, veggie peeler, SS mixing bowl, cutting board. :slight_smile:

I’ll just chime in and share that a class A extinguisher is probably not the best for a kitchen. I have a class B in the kitchen (specially for flammable liquids) and keep my class A (for paper, wood, dry combustibles) downstairs. A class might not easily put out the grease fire (most likely fire.)

You’ll see a big letter on any fire extinguisher A, B, C, D. C is for electrical and D is for flammable metals. I get trained on this every year. Then, I have to put out a little fake fire to show my prowess, with the SCBA on.

I heat with wood, so fire is often on my mind. If you don’t have a B, you might want to try the Amandarama trick and keep plenty of baking soda around. I use baking soda and vinegar to clean damn near everything, anyway.

2 Likes

After reading these responses, I just decided to replace my kitchen fire extinguisher - all the ones I looked at were ABC or BC. I’ve done the baking soda thing - once when I was in college and something I was broiling caught on fire. It worked. How I knew to do it, or why I even had baking soda, remains a mystery to me.

1 Like

ABC is great coverage. I don’t even know what metals are flammable.

I learned the hard way with baking soda , too. Drunk roommate left ( he couldn’t even remember what it was) sumfin in the oven, got home, smelled burn, and there was no flame until I opened the oven door. I forgot we even had a fire extinguisher in our dorm (we had the best dorms, equipped with a kitchen for 7 people to share, one reason I picked that university.) Wasn’t even a grease fire, I think. But that baking soda did the trick. I just pitched a box around in there and slammed the door shut. Still had to evacuate. What a dumbass.

1 Like

I think it was in my head because we had learned about it at some point in Home Ec., at least a decade, probably 12-13 years earlier than the Great Pop Tart Mishap of '94. Baking soda is a vastly underrated multi-tasker in the kitchen!

Mine was my fault… I was using someone’s recipe, and I did not know that I was supposed to wipe, or at least scrape, the oil-based marinade off the meat. Duh!

there are recognized ‘stds’ regards ‘fires’
Class A – extinguish fires involving paper, wood, textiles, cloth, rubber, trash, and plastics.
Class B – extinguish fires involving flammable liquids, solvents, oil, gasoline, paints, lacquers, and other oil-based products.
Class C – extinguish fires involving energized electrical equipment such as wiring, controls, motors

in the home kitchen stove top, paper/wood fires are a smidge unlikely.
electrical fires on a cooktop also a smidge unlikely.
but grease/oil/oil based fires - yeah - that’s a probability.

the cheap usually ignored fix:
if you’re doing high heat frying/saute/browning in a fry pan, have the lid handy.
plunking the lid on a pan fire is like the premier end-of-fire solution.
this does not happen when somebody dumps a cup of wine into a big pan of very hot oil which then spatters hot flaming oil all over the stove…

baking soda works because when heated (i.e. dumped on a fire) it releases CO2 - which starves the fire of oxygen and (hopefully) puts it out. it is not nearly as effective as the chemical ABC type powders.

We have a very old fire extinguisher - I will update it!
We have not moved in many years and will not be moving in the foreseeable future. So I, too, will list 5 things we take when we travel and stay at a rental where we will cook. Since we fly to our destinations, no pots or pans, but these go in our checked bag:

A good knife
An instant read thermometer
Spices
Aluminum foil (out of its box and cardboard tube and flattened)
Assorted sizes of ziplock bags

1 Like

That would be in the 2nd box.

I’m so not looking forward to packing up and moving but it will be worth it in the end.

1 Like

Ah. Accept no alternative