Finding duck legs (Boston, or west burbs/Waltham)

oh, and by the way, where did you get the duck fat and do you remember how much it cost?

I did ask all the poultry vendors at the Boston Public Market a few weeks ago and none have duck. I also asked at MF Dulock in Somerville, and was told they are still looking for a supplier.

Wegman’s sells duck fat in the meat section, in half-pint containers. Keeps for months in the fridge.

I actually moved my fat with me LOL. Sad but true. So I didn’t have to buy any this time, but I also didn’t see any when going all around Boston (but wasn’t paying attention).

Fat does keep for a long long time. I keep it in the freezer. And you’ll actually end up with more than you started with since the legs will render out during the process (though you said you aren’t Doing confit this time). I can usually get 3-4 rounds from my fat before it gets too salty and starts to impact the process, then it gets one last hurrah for duck fat French fries.

I’ve seen them at the Boston Public Market where they also have rabbit and goat!

-KB

where at the Public Market? I asked at every meat stand at the Boston Public Market between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and they all said no, they did not carry duck. I did see goat and rabbit, but don’t remember the vendors. I haven’t been for about two weeks, so maybe something has changed?

The stand closest to Red’s Best. If your back is to Red’s Best they are on the right. They also have duck eggs.

Another place for duck (and all things meat) in the North End (short walk from the BPM) is Sulmona Meat Market off of Hanover on Parmenter Street.

If they have breasts, then there’s a good chance they might have legs too. Ducks always come six to the case, so if push comes to shove just order a case from your grocer or whoever else and stick the extras in the freezer for the future.

Duck legs or wings are a big item lately, most places do them Buffalo or Asian style. Not much meat on them though.

Stand corrected. Just back from the BPM and they do not have duck. No local processing facilities. But they have duck eggs which is not even slightly the same thing :slight_smile: I’ve gotten duck at Sulmona Meat Market but the ducks are not local ducks.

We only have one real place left here on Long Island anymore. Most if not all other commercial ducks come from a big processor out in Wisconsin now. (Maple Leaf? something like that)

Well duck legs are back at the North Quincy Stop & Shop at least … well, were… my mom and I bought out the 4 legs they had, and hopefully they’ll continue to keep in stock. In case anyone else is still looking.