Filling breakfasts that can be made in advance

What are the mask rules on the bus? If he has to mask up, sending him with a handheld almost guarantees he will throw part of it out.

Oh for sure. But our bus stop is not at our driveway, so he usually has a 2 minute power walk to it and probably also another 1-2 min there, waiting. Enough for a talented youngster to shove food in mouth.

3 Likes

Is there some reason it had to be ā€œbreakfast foodā€? What about a sandwich: peanut butter, tuna, chicken salad, egg salad, ham and cheese, ā€¦? Or hard boiled eggs? Or any number of prepared frozen foods like samosa, Cornish pasties, or whatever is available in your area?

For some reason a bagel with cream cheese and a slice of smoked ham :bagel: and a glass of fresh squeezed bourbon sticks to my ribs for hours.

4 Likes

Yep - reasonable ideas all.

Hereā€™s a no-bake bar with nuts, oats, and chocolate.

2 Likes

Literally nothing sticks to the gut like oats and peanut butter.

And literally nothing is easier to make (ahead or on the spot) than these no-bake, peanut butter oatmeal cookies that require only 3 ingredients (peanut butter, oats and maple syrup).

3 Likes

I will give it a try. Funny bc until 3 wks ago, we had a severely peanut allergic kid in the house, so we never cooked with pb, or really even served it. On occasion we would have a lonely jar high up in the cupboard that I would eat with apple slices. Now that big brother is gone, little bro could eat all the peanuts. But he developed an ambivalence to it over a lifetime of not eating it. So heā€™s not that jazzed about nuts generally. But I will try to work in some of these sweeter ideas that have nuts to add some satiety.

2 Likes

Any concern about trace peanuts in the house when your older kid comes back?

I appreciate you asking - thank you! We will of course do a big deep cleanse before Thanksgiving. But quite honestly, I very much doubt that it will be a big 'ole nut party while heā€™s gone. We might up our nut consumption from 0-5%.

1 Like

Hah, no, I was just curious. We have (luckily) not had any allergies like those to deal with, so I was just wondering how it goes, given what I have heard about peanut allergies.

1 Like

I think if we carefully wash all the bowls and bakeware etc. we will be good. It is a to-do though. When he was young, we felt better able to care for him, but it was an impediment for him going to friends. Some of the parents were pretty wary. One said - please donā€™t bring him to our house - we donā€™t want to injure him. I guess I understood, but it also seemed kind of lame. Now that heā€™s grown, he is on his own more and needs to protect himself. So thatā€™s scary, for us to learn to relinquish control.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s one I hope will work. Itā€™s do-ahead and caloric as heck. But most importantly: really tasty. If your kiddos likes smoked salmon you could offer that with. I think it would reheat well.

Overnight Bagel Breakfast Casserole (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

Serves 8 as a main

1 bag of (6) everything or sesame bagels cut into 1-inch cubes

8 ounces (225 grams) cream cheese, chilled, cut into irregular small bits

2 small shallots or 3 scallions, sliced

1 pint or 10 ounces grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half, or quartered large

12 large eggs

3 1/2 cups half- and- half or whole milk

1 teaspoon salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Prepare casserole the night before: Spread a third of the bagel cubes in a greased 9-by-13-inch pan (or other 4-quart baking dish, if necessary). Dot the bagels with a third of the cream- cheese bits, and mix in the shallot/scallion and cherry tomatoes. Repeat in two more alternating layers. Whisk eggs with milk, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Pour the egg mixture over bagel- and- cheese mixture. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.

To cook: Remove casserole from the fridge and preheat your oven to 350F degrees. Bake on a tray, uncovered, in the middle of the oven until it has puffed, turned golden brown, and cooked through (a knife inserted into the center of the casserole and rotated slightly shouldnā€™t release any liquid), for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let it rest 10 minutes before serving.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s another casserole: https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/bisquick-breakfast-casserole/

I donā€™t see why you couldnā€™t sub homemade Bisquick

I saved but havenā€™t tried this recipe for oatmeal breakfast bars: https://www.freep.com/story/life/food/recipes/2021/04/17/break-fast-these-easy-oatmeal-bars/7226976002/

Same with KAā€™s blueberry breakfast cake: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/blueberry-breakfast-cake-recipe

Carrot cake muffins? You could add lumps of cream cheese for satiety: https://www.yummytoddlerfood.com/recipes/breakfast/healthy-carrot-cake-muffins/

2 Likes

Another breakfast that lasts is an avocado sandwich. Two slices of bread, Mayo (Kewpie with msg :rage: of course), salt, pepper, and an avocado! You could even toss on a slice of American cheese :us:. :smirk:

Yum yum yum.

3 Likes

That sounds good.

But Iā€™d be wary of things that can drip onto school clothes with a kid eating on-the-go, and the combination of avocado and mayo soundsā€¦ slippery. :wink:

And this yummy-sounding baked oatmeal just popped up in my feed: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/morning-glory-baked-oatmeal/amp

@ChristinaM youā€™ve outdone yourself with ideas. Iā€™ll have to think on whether these suit our tastes. Like the bagel one for instance. My H would move to a different state if I made it :slight_smile: My little doesnā€™t like cream cheese - heā€™ll tolerate it in moderation. But this is one of those recipes, and sometimes it happens, where I make it and then proceed to choose to eat 88% of it, or throw it away (which I hate to do).

2 Likes

Yes I agree. That sounds extra sloppy. And Iā€™m not sure avo needs any extra fat on top :slight_smile:

Oh itā€™s slippery and filling.

1 Like