Figs, I want to grow some in nj

( :rage::rage::rage:)

2 Likes

How old is your tree? For a small plant, it has a lot of leaves!

It’s about 4-5 years, I will take a pic in 2 mos it will be huge, but no fruit. I noticed my 1st year plumb tree has several plums, can’t wait for those!!!

1 Like

If the fig tree is in a sunny spot, with enough vitamins and water, 4-5 yrs old would be a good age to make fruits.

Maybe it’s a he?

https://www.hunker.com/12001620/how-to-identify-the-male-fig-tree-plant

I used to have a running competition with my dad on fig count!

1 Like

That’s very interesting about male and female fig trees. We’ve never had more than a smattering of fruit with this tree, and none have ever gotten to an edible state. I’m going to have to check to see if I can tell its sex.

1 Like

She’s (or more likely “he”) is coming along nicely, as usual. Still no sign of figs though {{sigh#}.

2 Likes

Some excited birds gave ma a shout out about some of the earliest (breba?) Ones ripening.

…so I picked a few early.

4 Likes

From afar, my fig looks amazing but up close, not so much. I think I have maybe three figs and they aren’t even the ones I saw earlier in the season. I know I read somewhere on HO about male and female fig tress and based my unscientific peek between its legs, I think we have a male tree. Our new plan is to try and really cut back the tree come fall and plant a new, hopefully female, tree next to it.

6 Likes

Oh you matchmaker you! I hope that it works out!!

3 Likes

I’m leaving the selection up to Mr Bean so I can’t get blamed in case we guess wrong.

5 Likes

Very wise! You could buy two more, to increase the odds if you have room.

3 Likes

A Menage a Figs, if you will?

4 Likes

If I only I had the room we’d probably have many.

Ha! Mine did too until people started raving about our back yard when we moved, and now he’s actively involved (good thing) and makes decisions on his own about where to plant what (bad thing- you dont’ move small plants from shadecloth to full sun in Tucson in May mid day). He’s learning though

3 Likes

I actually did that exact thing at the end of last season. Home Depot had beautiful fig tree’s on sale during the fall so I bought them, they even had figs on them at the time. I put them in a larger pot and brought them inside for the winter with the intention of planting them in the spring.

I placed them close to my wife’s “indoor garden tower” which has those high intensity lamps and I killed them over the winter. :joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

I’m starting to think I should stick to the kitchen or better, the bar, where I have faaaaaaarrrrrrr more experience.

7 Likes

The most frustrating thing is we had a gorgeous tree for many years before Sandy that always bore fruit. It didn’t survive the hurricane and since then bupkis. The trees look full and lush but no fruit. I think we’ll try one more time and then I’m done. I’m starting to see figs in the produce section at Shoprite.

3 Likes

Similar to yours, healthy and full but no fruit! {{sigh}}

3 Likes

Those leaves are huge. Too bad about the lack of fruit.

1 Like

At least he can wear them…

2 Likes