Figs, I want to grow some in nj

I’m a size 5XLT in fig leaf.

4 Likes

So another year has passed and it’s not looking so good for my fig tree. We are just beginning to get some signs of life. Is anyone else off to a slow start? I’m hoping the cold spring is delaying growth but when (if) it gets warm we’ll start to see some green.

@gracieggg Were you able to plant some seedlings at your new house?
@NotJrvedivici Did you cover yours this year or did you decide to go naked?
@fershore How are you making out?
@CurlzNJ Tagging you because Why Not?

3 Likes

Well I didn’t wrap mine for the first time this winter. So I’m pruning it now as it’s just showing some leaves.

Side note, I completely wrapped my peach tree in a mesh/screen to keep the birds out, hopefully looking at a dozen or so peaches!

1 Like

Why? Because I love figs. That’s why! :blush:

2 Likes

Did you not prune it in the fall? Or did you have a lot of growth?

Our peach trees are doing very poorly. Mr Bean is ready to chop at least one of them. He’s having a big problem with curly leaf fungus.

You’re going to have to get a potted fig tree for your balcony.

We ignored ours completely. It’s now very leggy and has signs of growth. My hubby pruned it back a bit this weekend. We got more fruit last year than ever before. I’m hopeful.

2 Likes

In a sad turn of events, none of my figs I started from my old house survived the winter. Absolutely user error as I know they got frosted at least twice before moving them to the shed. I did stop at the old house a couple weeks ago and took some clippings to try again. It’s sentimental since my dad gave me the fig years ago. I’m optimistic. My aunt was here yesterday who has a tremendous white fig in her yard in Washington DC suburbs. She may try to start me one of those.

Keep me posted how yours does! Water it like crazy.

2 Likes

Got a fig tree in a pot 2 years ago from garden center on Rte 79.
last year got maybe half-dozen edible figs.
Stored in the garage every winter.
TOok it out of the garage and put on the deck yesterday - already have one (only) fig growing. hopefully sign for more to come.

2 Likes

Not like you are asking for unsolicited advice but I’ll offer it anyway. I’d prune those little shoots out the bottom to give the fig the chance to send it’s energy into the largest, oldest branches. Those usually are your best chance at fruit.

Nice looking plant!

2 Likes

Wow! That’s great! We had our second worse year ever - the first was the season after Sandy and we think that too much salt got into the dirt. Last year the tree itself looked amazing but we had no fruit.

I’m sorry to hear of your loss. I know how much your figs meant to you. Hopefully you’ll have better results with the new cuttings.

1 Like

That’s great!

I always take @gracieggg advice when it comes to figs (and lots of other topics). She’s the fig-whisperer.

You are way too generous! I need to redeem myself!

1 Like