Fernandes Steakhouse 3, South Amboy NJ

Another enjoyable meal at Fernandes tonight. The food and service is consistently good here whether you have the rodizio or order from the extensive menu.

I had the rodizio tonight and especially enjoyed the picanha, skirt and sirloin. The company was great too.

4 Likes

I just realized that I have been passing by this place on my way to Drew’s all these years and didn’t realize it (since it is across the highway and I usually look straight ahead at the road). Any chance that they would allow you to bring your own wine and pay a corkage fee? If not do they have any decent red wines for under $40?

2 Likes

They have a boatload of wine bottles all over the restaurant, but I wouldn’t know a good one from a bad one.

As for the food, I had steak and shrimp on a tile and I enjoyed it immensely. Great night with good friends eating a lot of food!

3 Likes

Brilliant minds think alike lol

I was at rodeo grill that night and had a very good experience. The ticket here is getting there early, like Fernandes. We showed up at 4:45 and were the only table but the bar was full and a few guys standing around it (local Brazilian fellas)

The price is now up to 33.95 in comparison to 41.95 at Fernandes. For 8.00 more I’m giving fernandes the award for best value (taking into account what you get at each place for the money.)

@paryzer if you guys are Rodizio fans this place is great. Their menu items are also generally good to excellent. I’ve never had anything I didn’t like. If ordering off the menu, as opposed to rodizio, keep in mind this is very simply prepared Portuguese/Brazilian food. It is basically your large piece(s) of protein with some kind of potato and steamed veggies. In other words, don’t expect masterful creations like Mrs P whips up. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

I agree… They are as good as any of the meat places in the Ironbound… Still better pure seafood in the Ironbound

3 Likes

We had some excellent takeout at Fernandes Steakhouse in Newark. They had an extremely limited menu but everything was very flavorful and huge portions. It was very inexpensive and we have some nice leftovers for tomorrow. It was my first time at Fernandes and we have to definitely comeback. It was a perfect time to go. There was no traffic and it barely took me a half hour averaging 80 miles an hour on the empty highways. I mentioned that my friends always rave about Fernandes 3 and he said that a lot of people that went to Fernandes 3 and then went to the original in Newark say that the rodizio is even better at the Newark location. We enjoyed sautéed shrimp and sea scallops in garlic sauce with plenty of slivers of garlic. We also enjoyed a 12 ounce BBQ ribeye steak with shrimp, sautéed onions, and cherry peppers; a 12 ounce grilled filet mignon with brandy sauce and mushrooms. Mrs. P added blue cheese to it. They also added generous portions of crispy homemade Spanish chips, sautéed vegetables, french fries and rice. It all went great with an excellent French red wine.
fernandes takeout menu.pdf

13 Likes

A heavenly assortment!

2 Likes

Shrimps overload. Such a very good thing!

1 Like

Yes, you can never have enough shrimp :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Whew…glad you liked it! After you Semolina experience I have been gun shy to try and refer you anywhere so when I saw your post about another favorite of mine I must admit I held my breath! Glad you enjoyed it. It’s certainly not 5 star dining - but when you consider quality vs. price point you are hard pressed to find better or more consistent food than Fernandes. Glad you enjoyed!

1 Like

Thanks @NotJrvedivici. Yes, Fernandes might not be gourmet food, but it is great comfort food. They gave huge portions at amazing prices ($22 for the shrimp and scallops in garlic sauce entree, $23 for a 12 ounce rib eye and $33 for a 12 ounce filet mignon). Not to mention the huge portion of sauteed vegetables and crispy Spanish chips (as well as rice and french fries which we didn’t even need). The dishes actually came with french fries but I asked for the Spanish chips and they made them for me at no charge. I even glanced at their huge wine menu and there were quite a few wines under $30 which is very reasonable. They couldn’t have been nicer. They took my order to the car. I am just afraid that yesterday might have been their last day. The person said everyone is afraid for their safety, and Newark was highly hit, so they may shut them down for a few weeks. If they are still open next week I might try them again. I would love to try some items on the full menu when they reopen. It’s also great that they have their own parking lot.

4 Likes

General description of all of my favorite spots in the Ironbound! Breaks my heart to think of that section of Newark closing down, but as I am with EVERY town, I’m crossing my fingers for them to come back!

4 Likes

The last meal we ate in a restaurant was March 15th at Fernandes 3, South Amboy. I had fried baccala with potatoes and cabbage. And a pitcher of sangria. OK, two pitchers. If there was a restaurant I could have picked for our last sit down (at the bar) before a shelter in place curve flattener, this would have been the place, and by gum, ‘twas. And when this is over, it’ll be the first place we go.

4 Likes

Nice one Eli! This is one of my all time favorite restaurants. It never disappoints. I cant believe we have never had a hodown there, to my knowledge.

2 Likes

Well you made me scroll up to see, according to my February 2018 post we did have a HO’down there and you attended!!! lol Thank God I still have at least one marble left.

1 Like

Yes I remember we went but I was referring to Fernandes #2. Sorry I wasn’t clear. I was half :sleeping:

1 Like

Go back to sleep, no school today !!!

If you scrolled further you would see that our first HoDown there was in May 2017, the 2018 was the second. I’m ready for a 3rd when it is again possible.

4 Likes

I was in the mood for something “different” for dinner Saturday night and after a day at the beach I didn’t feel like cooking, so take out from Fernandes it was. Yes I should have taken pics and I’m truly sorry I didn’t but you really can’t imagine the mountain of food they give you for take out. We ordered two paella vallencia and one steak and chicken dish they had. There was 4 of us for dinner Saturday night and we had so much paella left over 3 of us ate it again last night and still had over a half a tray left over. Delicious as always and still pipping hot by the time the 30 minute ride home!

No special menu or prices but they are giving you one hell of a to-go serving size.

4 Likes

Last night at Fernandes in Newark.

8 Likes