Favourite skincare products and cosmetics

So, Dr Jart’s Cicapair works for me,

as does Dr Jart’s Tiger Grass Gel Cream

but the Tiger Grass Cream (non-gel) and Tiger Grass Masque irritated my skin, so I gave them to a friend.

I bought several products from Riversol, which arrived today.

1 Like

I finally have something that works! The Dr. prescribed Finacea 15% azelaic acid gel and it is working extremely well. If you’re open to a prescription, this is an excellent choice.

1 Like

Thank you, @jammy! I will talk to my doctor! Happy it’s working!

While my face is still pink/rosy, the Riversol moisturizer, anti-redness product and eye cream don’t sting.

I wore eye makeup to my high school reunion last month ( Chantecaille eye shadow, Ilia mascara and not sure which eyeliner, an eyeliner pencil of some sort), and took it off carefully but my skin was irritated again, after just 6 hours of makeup.

Baby shampoo is removing eye makeup better, in terms of less irritation, than expensive makeup removers.

I bought some Chantecaille sunscreen, and my Shisheido sunscreen from last year is also working well.

1 Like

Anyone else having trouble finding a mascara that doesn’t irritate the eyes?

I didn’t have any sensitivities until the last 3 years. Now, almost every mascara, eyeliner and eye shadow irritates my eyes within a few hours. I’ve purchased products that don’t contain parabens or sulphites through Sephora, but they still irritate my eyes.

I’ve tried Ilia most recently. Still looking. Thanks for any suggestions.

Male here. I’ve been very impressed by this all-purpose (face) oil. Also good for women and children apparently.

https://savonnerie-martin-de-candre.com/en/vegetal-oils/168-copra-chamomile-and-lemon-oil.html#MOREINFO

1 Like

For many years I experienced painful rosacea. I eliminated all the ‘triggers’, protected my face when I went outdoors and I tried to stay out from under fluorescent lighting (which was painful). I used Cetaphil products. Finally I just had to go to the Rx of Oracea and then low dose doxycycline. It took over a year and the face finally cleared up. My face is happy now and is not painful. Cetaphil is still my facial skin care brand.

2 Likes

Have you tried Blinc mascara? It’s never irritated my eyes, and they’re pretty sensitive. It absolutely doesn’t wear or drip off, and it removes with plain water. It’s my go-to mascara. I’d send you one, but I don’t have any that aren’t used. They may be able to send you a small size to try. blinc.com

I will order some! Thank you!

I recently tried Physican’s Formula liquid eyeliner which irritated me less than Ilia liquid eyeliner or Chantecaille pencil eye liner , but it didn’t go on as smoothly or opaquely. I will try a few more times.

Blinc has eyeliner, too, now that you mention it.

1 Like

For a moisturizer sold at drug stores, this Avène line is working well for me. I find it less irritating than Vichy, and I like it better than CeRave, Neutrogena , Vichy and most LaRoche Posay.

I also found the powdered exfoliant by Dermalogica works for me. It’s the first exfoliant that hasn’t left my skin irritated. https://www.dermalogica.ca/products/daily-microfoliant

The It Cosmetics liquid eyeliner is the first eyeliner I have purchased in 4 years that is not irritating to my eyes.

2 Likes

For what its worth, I’m 64… Not long ago I was mistaken for my son’s girlfriend. Yes. As you can guess, he was thrilled. Well I was anyway.

When I was in my twenties I used Este Lauder for mature women. My theory was that if it’ll work for older skin, it will probably be magic on mine! And it was. It worked very well. Only, life happened. Marriage and kids and budgets. So I started coming up with my own ideas on how to take care of my skin. This is what I’ve been using for probably the last 5 years. And of all the version I’ve tried, I think I’m happiest with this.

I wash my face and neck every morning with a rough wash cloth, very warm water and any kind of natural soap. I think I’ve got shea butter in there right now. It’s a handmade soap. As an all around moisturizer/everything else, I use orange oil. I buy it at ahealth food stores for about $6 a bottle. A few drops mixed with some water does well. I was mixing it with Strivectin for a while and liked that. But then I’m ran out. So now it’s just Orange oil. Then comes a layer of something called Van Mann’s. I picked it up a while back and really like it. It’s A-balm made of tallow and honey.

Then at night, I wash my face again with the shea and use avocado oil for moisturizer. My skin loves it.

I’ve used other things over the years, but I do my best to stick to items that doesn’t have a lot of stuff in ithem I have considered using Ponds. I read a lot of good things about it and women have used it for years. Same with Nivia. Some people like Noxema. One thing that I had very good results with was Jason’s Oil. I got that at a health food store. It’s a mixture of almond, coconut, etc. They don’t sell it here anymore so I don’t get it but I wouldn’t if I could!

The only thing I can think of to say that has worked consistently for me is to avoid the artificial stuff.

2 Likes

I completely understand the struggle of having sensitive skin and the challenges of finding the right skincare products. It can be quite frustrating at times. In fact, I struggle with it too.

Hey there! It’s tough when your skin becomes sensitive to most skincare products, but don’t worry, you’re not alone in this journey. I can relate to the trial and error process of finding the right moisturizers.

If anyone out there has experience with ichthyosis, we have a family member who has and is suffering from this condition and would appreciate any suggestions you may have. The dermatologists haven’t been able to get them any relief. Thank you!

I don’t have any knowledge. I have found some tips on Reddit for rosacea.

Skinceuticals, Dr Jart and La Roche Posay (the sensitive skin line ) have some products that have worked for my very sensitive skin, that’s mostly afflicted with rosacea right now.
This might help for some leads.

1 Like

Thank you for the link, I will pass this on. The poor thing has it so bad and as they’ve gotten older the lesions get painful and ooze. I wish I could make their life easier; this is a start, I hope.

1 Like

It seems like you’ve already explored a good range of options and had some success with brands ;ike Chantecaille, Dr Jart, and Caudalie.

I really like the Dermalogica daily exfoliant- got one free a while back and liked it enough to get more.

1 Like

It’s a great product. I usually use it once a week.