Favourite Alternatives to Classic Poutine Recipes

Adding a recipe for poutine râpée aka rappie pie, a traditional Acadian recipe that is a potato dumpling filled with pork.

2 Likes

People are taking things way too seriously here.

We are not at Le Cordon Bleu Culinary School and being graded on this.

If people don’t understand my thread then be the purist and make the traditional version.

One can simply sit back and see what I’m trying to do with this thread and make whatever version they want.

Not interested in having the this isn’t Chili because it has ground beef and beans in it.
Because traditional Chili is made with cubed beef chuck roast and beans are served on the side discussion.

I stopped participating on the CH Bolognese thread because of the putists.
I only had the Hazan Bolognese recipe which my boys didn’t care for. :scream_cat:
All the rest of the recipes were Ragú despite the title indicating them to be Bolognese.

This isn’t Chowhound and Chowhound died for a reason.

Can we just have fun now ?

Olunia

2 Likes

Hi there @Amandarama I just don’t know. Could def be that and nice idea for at home. Give it a shot !

1 Like

That’s the nub. If we correctly understand the dish’s origins, they are far removed – in a different galaxy – from the Careme/Escoffier “codification” approach. A thrown together staff meal is an animal different than a standard instruction that anyone can duplicate. Come to think of it, the reliable worldwide consistency of McDonald’s offerings is simply an expression of Careme/Escoffier.

1 Like

Nitpickers gonna nitpick :rofl:

@BoneAppetite , I hear what you are saying. I will also link to this history for Poutine
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.macleans.ca/society/the-history-of-poutine-how-it-became-our-most-iconic-dish/amp/

I think the purists do prefer squeaky white curds and a brown gravy, usually powdered or canned.

The fancy veal demi glace poutine with Belgian-style frites that were a thing in Toronto around 2000s elevated the dish. For me- those are the types worth eating. I haven’t had the original type in 3 or 4 years.

My current favourite type of poutine is a breakfast poutine, basically frites topped with a fried egg and Hollandaise, maybe some bacon. No gravy, no curds.

The buffalo chicken poutine sold in pubs is way too salty for me.

1 Like

Thanks for explanation. Understood better now.

1 Like

Anytime!

Problem is I don’t quite understand the original version, so talking about all the modification added a lot of confusion for me to understand.

Ok, maybe the word “reinterpretation” should be added to the title. Because I think you have some ideas in your mind, but it’s not clearly expressed and I think some people don’t understand and each of us starts to argue about being purists or not, which is not your aim.

3 Likes

Grandma’s Italian Recipe from above
Posting the Homepage:

The Italian poutine recipe that I posted above from 2 days ago has a complete drop down menu:

Dessert
Gluten Free
Holiday
International
Meat
Seafood
Vegan
Gravy
FAQ

I invite everyone to take a look see for suggestions.

I have not tried all of these recipes yet posted it so people could inform themselves, explore possibilities and see what they would like to create.

After all Dessert Poutine is not for everyone.

Happy Cooking Everyone !

This is a great idea and good suggestion thank you @naf.

I would prefer if people don’t understand to please PM/DM me.

When someone makes a mistake on their OPP, I do it privately using the amazing messaging system made available to us.

Things tend to go sour too quickly when the thread gets bombarded with responses.

I think in this instance some reacted instead of taking advantage of the links posted to help inform them
and then ask questions.

1 Like

Yes! Similar techniques and/or ingredients being called something else is an increasingly commonplace phenomenon. People are always looking to tinker with the original and find a recognizable shorthand name. I am so looking forward to chicken or tofu steak frites.

1 Like

My personal take here is that if you’re a moderator @naf you’re being argumentative and have taken a fun and positive post and impacted it negatively. I tend to agree with @Olunia that if someone has a problem or concern with a post to PM the poster. @Olunia is a positive member of this board and she/he/they adds a lot and shouldn’t be discouraged from being creative or starting a fun conversation.

3 Likes

Respectfully, you are not the arbiter of what people can and can’t discuss on a given thread (even one you started). As I’m sure you know, online discussion threads have a mind of their own. Furthermore, by starting a thread entitled “Favourite Poutine recipes” with a recipe that is clearly NOT poutine, you invited not only confusion (evidenced by Saregama thinking perhaps you had linked the wrong recipe) but also discussion as to what poutine actually is and how far one can go with variations on the theme while still legitimately calling a dish “poutine.”

This has nothing to do with Chowhound so I’m not sure why you are dragging that up. Also, many HOs DO find discussions regarding food vocabulary and traditions fun (as well as informative/educational) - if you are not one of them, I suggest you scroll past those posts.

Another moderator chimes in @biondanonima. Same thoughts as above. Your post comes off as discouraging to this reader/user.

1 Like

This is why digital interactions can be more tricky than in-person ones. I took @naf 's post as being upfront about being genuinely confused about why recipes that do not seem to be poutine (particularly when some kind of qualifier isn’t in the title, ex. “gnocchi” poutine) were posted as such, particularly as the opening volley of a thread about poutine. It is not expected, and the reader would have no particular reason to click on provided links if the thread begins in such an unexpected way. For a thread providing examples of what poutine is for new people to the dish, the expected convention would be to open with typical, traditional examples of it. And then move into a discussion, if needed, of “check out these takes on the dish” with the nontraditional examples.

I wouldn’t start a thread on nachos by immediately pointing others to a link on tater tot or waffle fry nachos.

If someone has a question about an OP, it is should not fall on the readers to DM the OP. If one person has a question, it is better to ask the question openly because, chances are, more than one person has the same question. IMHO, and all that.

I don’t read any of this thread as people trying to decry nontraditional poutine, or be purist. But, that’s just me.

2 Likes

I took it as being argumentative and coy in a fake way, and the follow-ups then being rude (and demonstrating original intent despite polite responses) and then the other moderator’s email, a lengthy scolding, as being even worse. People should be allowed to write whatever posts they want within limits of course - they aren’t professional writers and this is just a food webpage. Is some nitpicking about poutine worth making someone feel badly or discouraging people from participating in an online community? That’s what’s happening and when it happens from moderators, that’s a concern.

1 Like

Understood!

2 Likes

My post was not meant to discourage participation - in fact, it was meant to do the opposite, and I apologize if that was not conveyed. While we as moderators do try to prevent excess thread drift, the discussion of “what is poutine” is perfectly appropriate on this thread, whether all participants care about that aspect of the discussion or not. Those who wish to discuss semantics may do so, those who would rather concentrate on another aspect should scroll by those posts that don’t interest them and continue posting whatever they desire.

I think that @naf came up with an excellent solution.

1 Like

In this case it appears that it was moderators that created any actual “thread drift.”

When a moderator uses terms like “you are not the arbiter of…” and “I suggest you…” that is such a turn off.

Apology accepted.

1 Like