Favourite Alternatives to Classic Poutine Recipes

What are your favourite Poutine recipes?
Anything goes, traditional, designer or unique combinations.

One of my Favourites is Nadia G’s Gnocchi Poutine with brown butter, dried apricots and sage.

2 Likes

I like 3/8" double cooked fries and beefy brown gravy. I am ok with cheese curds but do not require them. My poutine brown gravy is butter and flour roux, a spoonful of Better Than Boullion beef, a splash of Sherry, a grind or two of black pepper, and water to get it to the right thickened but not gloppy texture. It is quick enough to make that you can do it before the fries are done. Now I want some, even though I just had a peanut butter and blueberry preserves sandwich, and it is headed for 101F.

2 Likes

Olunia’s link isnt available in the UK but it sounds like a fab idea. Not sure why the Cooking Channel website is blocked to us, when its parent (Food Network) isnt.

I’ve only eaten poutine once - a restaurant in Burlington, Vermont which served a duck poutine as a starter. I thought it was fantastic. But poutine with gnocchi just sounds so lush.

2 Likes

Hi Harters,

I could post the ingredients and paraphrase the method if you wish?
Lmk

Olunia

Here is Nadia’s gnocchi recipe can you open this one @Harters?

Edit:

I’ll write up the sauce for you because it is not included here.

Can you open this link @Harters

Yes, please, Olunia.

I’ve a supermarket bag of gnocchi sat in the freezer crying out for poutine. Or is this going to be one where I’m better off making my own gnocchi

2 Likes

The link you posted is a pretty standard gnocchi with brown butter - was there a different link you meant to post?

My understanding of poutine is fries + gravy + cheese curds — and of course there riffs from there (for eg I just saw one on a restaurant menu that uses tikka masala gravy instead of brown gravy).

ETA: Maybe this was the intended recipe? (Posting multiple links for @Harters):

1 Like

Hi @Saregama

I post for everyone assuming that you don’t know how to cook/bake because not everyone does.
After all, we were all beginners at one time or another.

There are many of our Community members who don’t know how to cook yet would like to learn.
They lurk about because they aren’t comfortable posting yet.

My post isn’t meant for someone with your Culinary knowledge but rather for someone who is learning and exploring.

Eta: @Saregama
Both of your recipes use thyme instead of crisped sage and lack the julienned apricots.
I did post a few recipes and waiting to see what links @Harters can open.
He wasn’t able to open the original one because it is not available to him there.

1 Like

Here? I really don’t think that’s true.
I mean, we’re an obscure food website where folks were either invited or tumbled into our goldmine.

Not sure what this has to do with a non-poutine recipe on a poutine OP.

(Esp when Nadia G actually has a gnocchi poutine recipe… I just assumed the wrong link got posted by mistake. ETA: Your response is oddly defensive, especially with the “this post isn’t meant for you”. )

1 Like

She has 2 poutine recipes one is out of her cookbook Cookin’ for Trouble where she purchases fresh gnocchi from an Italian shop which she makes with thyme (the link that you posted).

I wanted to post the one where she makes the gnocchi from scratch.

Sorry I thought that the post was directed towards me sorry if I misunderstood your wording:

I’m sorry interpreted that way.
It was meant as a compliment because I have read your posts and have been impressed with your vast knowledge.

Hi Harters,

If it is fresh pasta that has been frozen then it should be okay.

I’m not a fan of the shelf stable gnocchi because it just has an odd taste even when it is sauced up.

I do like Nadia G’s recipe because her gnocchi are like little “pillows” which make the poutine more interesting.

Olunia

Hi Olunia - yep, I can open both the other links you posted earlier.

Now, I’m looking forward to reading other folks’ poutine recipes as intended with your thread.

1 Like

I’ve even added sliced green peppers to this Italian Poutine recipe:

Here is a dessert Poutine:

I love Nadia. Miss the Bitchin’ Kitchen. Thanks for sharing this recipe, either way. I’m such an amateur poutiner, I’ll just watch y’all. Sad that I live near so many cheese curds, but have never made a poutine. Great late night “snack” though. Heavy snack.

Not poutine, but I love well-made gnocci.

When I do make my own poutine, I think I’ll make a lamb gravy for those fries. I also see myself using garlic cheese curds.

1 Like

Classic poutine has led to italian poutine (spaghetti sauce and mozzarella instead of gravy and curds), shawarma poutine, lobster poutine, breakfast poutine, butter chicken poutine, buffalo chicken poutine, smoked meat poutine, and other variations up here in Canada.

Spotted these 2 variations this week:

3 Likes

Our only poutine experience was at an afternoon Sarnia Sting game. Have to try it once, right?

Conclusion: different version nachos. Fried base, soft cheese, distinctive sauce, and however you care to embellish it . . . Works for us.

Anthropology lesson learned: All over the world, people frequently come to the same conclusion – just expressed in the local vocabulary.

4 Likes

I love Nadia G too because she knows how to cook.

Her show is still available on the Tubi App, which is free to download, all 3 seasons of Bitchin Kitchen.

My OPP is not a traditional poutine because I want people to think outside of the box and have fun (also not see gravy and cheese and SOB).
Yet the gnocchi with browned butter, apricots and crispy sage has potatoes, sauce and cheese so it is boarderline poutine for me.

I am using the connotation meaning of the word poutine rather than the denotation meaning.

I wanted to make it inclusive so that people could participate despite dietary restrictions so gnocchi is a good substitute for fries.

We have gnocchi poutine here it is a thing.