Favorite ways to cook winter squash?

I understand…and we have no shortage of maple syrup from Northeast Ohio farms. It’s just not something I want for dinner. Unless I’m having pancakes, of course :wink:

1 Like

Funny you should mention this. I grew up in southwestern PA and while maple syrup of course existed, it was a breakfast thing if that. Real maple was not commonly used. Mostly commercial pancake syrup.

1 Like

I grew up in Pittsburgh in the '50s, and I had no idea that Aunt Jemima’s wasn’t actually maple syrup. I’m assuming the real thing was too expensive.

In terms of winter squash recipes, my favorite is roasting cubed butternut squash with olive oil, (real) maple syrup, and salt at 425 for 25 - 30 minutes - easy and good.

1 Like

nope, none of that fake crap is allowed in the house :wink:

Yesterday I tried these butternut squash latkes from the NYtimes. The first batch was not so great (a little mushy and not browned) but the second was much better. I’d definitely make these again.

4 Likes

I love this squash with Tahini recipe from the Jerusalem cookbook. The bonus was learning that the skin is edible!

3 Likes

This sounds fantastic. I own this cookbook and I can’t believe I overlooked this particular recipe

1 Like

You beat me to it, @ieatalotoficecream. Same is true for me. Thank you for the tip, @corneygirl.

2 Likes

I LOVE all winter squash!!
Delicata might be my favorite, with kabocha a close second.
I loved this recipe because the miso and squash combo is fantastic. I skip the spicy stuff cuz I’m a wimp. At the halfway point i add some tofu or tempeh and the kale so that at the end it’s a complete sheet pan style meal

I made this kinda of crazy panade once, it’s a little fussy- mostly a lot of chopping- but was really delicious and very filling. Makes a lot of servings too

I often use various winter squash in a beany chili style stew, or with green curry paste and coconut milk plus some tofu and whatever veggies are on hand for a curry/soup to have over rice
Most often on a random weeknight i will just chop and roast it, halfway through cooking i will add additional veggies and then i vary the sauce or dressing. Or more likely i chop and roast a ton on the weekend and reheat during the week.
Miso tahini is a favorite, but just toasted sesame oil dribble and lots of cilantro also makes me happy. Chimichurri, peanut buttery/lime/soy sauce and an acidic vinegrette are all tasty combos too.

3 Likes

There are a lot of squash lasagna recipes floating around, this is a good one:

Only: it’s a lot of work. And two substitutions made a world of difference.
The first time I made this dish it was delish. My guests had thirds.
The second time: meh. Here’s why:

Turkey: why is some ground turkey gamey? First time I bought the turkey at WF, the second time at Costco. 2/3 white meat, 1/3 dark. Next time I’ll stick to WF and pre-prepare the turkey to be on the safe side.

Stock: substituted a good beef stock the first time because I had it on hand. Great! Second time used a meh chicken stock. Nope.

Squash: first time I roasted fresh squash. Second time I roasted frozen cubed butternut squash from Costco. Please tell me this made no difference (I don’t know!) because it was SO much easier!

I really love lasagna, I really love squash, and when this worked it was just terrific.

4 Likes

Curried in soup with goat cheese and roasted pepitas on top.

squash smoothies, muffins and baked pudding my wife will start making throughout Fall.

I had a roasted pumpkin, coconut milk and protein shake for breakfast.

3 Likes

I love butternut squash ravioli but too often the flavor is inadequate and I’m too lazy to make it myself. Instead I do a deconstructed version : butternut, sage, béchamel, etc. tossed with cooked pasta.

5 Likes

Same here! Store-bought versions of butternut squash or pumpkin ravioli have lured me. Never enough flavor, though. So I do something similar with baked pasta, usually dried penne.

Do you use fresh or dried pasta for your prep, @Robin_MacLean? Do you have a favorite shape?

I generally find winter squashes too sweet on their own, so I’m not a fan of recipes that add a sweetener. But I do like this one (although I leave out the maple syrup):

5 Likes

Thanks for the idea @nonaggie. I have used mashed and seasoned butternut squash to top baguette slices for garnishing bowls of black bean soup. But that’s pretty much an add-on, and this prep looks flavorful enough to stand on its own.

Hmmm, I have some balsamic vinegar I’d like to try out with this recipe.

Ditto to peeling. 3 minutes on high for a large whole butternut. Let it cool, and a swivel peeler makes easy work of the skin.

2 Likes

I’m even lazier, apparently. I microwave butternut to make it soft enough to cut, but I’ve stopped peeling. Obviously not an option with harder skinned squashes, but I find butternut skin perfectly edible.

2 Likes

Thanks to the recipe you shared for roasted delicata squash salad, last night I was inspired to grill a couple of small delicatas. When the squash was ready, I sliced it and tossed it into a skillet with torn spinach leaves, olive oil, and a dollop of sambal manis (a type of chile paste) just until the spinach wilted. Marcona almonds, sweet and sour pickled onions, and labne to garnish.

Much appreciated, @Ttrockwood. I can see myself riffing on that squash salad recipe over and over again.

3 Likes

Sounds good. Seasonings can vary but the basic oil, season and roast is always a winner. Hit it at the sweet spot of caramelization and it’s always a winner

1 Like

My gosh that is gorgeous! That sounds like a delicious adaptation, especially those pickled onions! i love any veggies from the grill… (especially since i don’t have one myself) glad you enjoyed it :):grin:

1 Like