Favorite tropical fruit?

@Google_Gourmet, thanks to Google Translate, I believe the top line mentions the fruit is called a canistel: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pouteria_campechiana

1 Like

That is it!!! Very pretty fruit. Gonna have to try one.

Purchased two types of (new to me) of persimmons. A large soft variety that has two tier look. Also a wild variety the size of a large strawberry, also soft.

Also a kind of fruit that that we first tried the night before, set in a gelee. Anyone know what that is? It’s somewhat tart and was a nice accompaniment to the other dishes.

In Beijing.

Oval kakis are very cute.

I’m on Iriomote island now and have been eating frozen mango and pineapple cubes. The season is over so only frozen. The mango is so aromatic and sweet. They have 2 types of pineapple here, one has white flesh. My guest house is run by a family of pineapple farmers.

2 Likes

Maybe “haw berries in crystal”, shuijing shanzha (水晶山楂). On the first photo, next to the soft persimmons, those were haw berries.

They looked like a kind of small pear since they didn’t seem to have red skin. Do you have the name of the restaurant?

1 Like

Raw coconut
Papaya
Mango
Lycee
Dragon fruit
Asian pear
Pineapple
Star fruit
Bananas
Plantains
…so many!

I’m going with the mangosteen and lychee (only if there is a slight tart acidity though, I don’t like one note sweetness) for favorites.

I believe the third picture is Chinese Hawthorne preserve fruit , also called Sanja or Sanjay depending on dialect
They are used several ways
As thin flakes found in many Asian stores, As fruit rolls
With a thin crispy caramelized coating in a skewer popular during Chinese NYear. When you bite into that crispy coating, the fruit is soft, sour and tangy . This is my favorite. I understand when searching for it that somewhere in NY, under a bridge, a vendor sells that!

The other way it is prepared, also a favorite of mine is a soft coating of caramelized maltose sugar , not in a skewer but the fruit is crushed revealing some seeds. .
At the moment, I am drinking Sanja tea . It is sold dehydrated, to brew

2 Likes

Thanks on the haw berry. They did indeed have red skins before being peeled and cored. The white fruit garnish were lychee, as I recall.

Restaurant is China Lounge. The chef is doing traditional Beijing favorites in an upscale setting.
Excellent food and service. Best Beijing Duck of the handful of duck joints/palaces I’ve tried over the years.

1 Like

Persimmons are high on the list for most delicious but there is the mess factor depending on the variety and ripeness

And the shock and dismay when you get one that wasnt as ripe and luscious ad it looked…

I think there was a Seinfeld episode about fruit. “The Mango”

Mangos are also high on the list of delicious

1 Like

When I can get them fresh, mangosteens! Unbelievably good.

I also prefer lychees over longans and rambutan too. I love fruit, so I would always waffle between papaya, star fruit, passion fruit, and good sweet dragon fruit (pitaya) too. Even though not tropical, I also love pomelos, mikans, and persimmons.

1 Like

There’s no general “fruits” topic so I post it here.

Cut open.

Opuntia, or prickly pear. Family of cactus. Stains everything and makes you look like you wear make-up. Taste and texture is a bit like dragon fruit. A bit sour, lots of hard seeds.

1 Like

Passion fruit, always my favorite.
Spent years in the West Indies and loved all the amazing tropical fruits.
No so much in the northeast, pale comparisons. Maybe akin to getting fresh raspberries to Grenada:)

Husband bought this fruit, we had absolute no idea what they were, the exterior was hard. Looked up on internet, in fact they have no English name, called granadilla, our version was probably from Africa, they exist also in Australia.

Inside they are similar to texture of passion fruits, except they are sweet, instead of acid.

1 Like

Well, I live in the USA (PNW) so I will be practical here. The two most consistent tropical fruits we can get here are Mangos and Pineapple. I also happen to really like them. Asian pears are also grown here which is nice.

I have been to SE Asia many times. My extended family is from the Philippines so I have tasted fresh Mangosteen, Rambutan, Lyche, Dragon fruit and a bunch of other GREAT fresh tropical fruta’s but it doesn’t mean much if you can’t get it fresh and we just cant here.

So, I stick to pineapple and mango. Make shakes!

3 Likes

Naf, Granadilla is Passsiflora ligularis. It’s very common in Peru and neighboring countries. It’s native to South America. I ate a lot of them in Peru and grew them for some years; it’s a very pretty plant. Many Passionfruits are sweet, with little or no acidic taste. I grow a lot of P. incarnata, a winter-hardy type. For years, I’ve been selecting varieties for fruit quality. Fresh-ripe, they have mild, well-balanced acidity. After some days, the acidity subsides and they’re very sweet.

The acidic Maracuja/Maracuya*, comes from P. edulis. *P. edulis var. flavicarpa (yellow-fruited) tends to be powerfully acidic, while the straight species, P. edulis, tends to be very sweet, often with a purple skinned fruit. Interbreeding of species and hybrid selection has led to a wide range of flavor profiles.

1 Like