Favorite Summer Salads

Cold salamon salad. Flake the oven baked prepared salamon on a bed of premade red quinoa and topped with finely chopped fresh dill and parsley, fresh lemon juice and a dollop of mayo/mustard/horseradish dip.

2 Likes

Salads are the way to go for, especially during hot summers. There are loads of different recipes, some combine really things that you would never thing you can combine, other are quite straight forward and fast to make. Here is my latesr favourite - Greek Wheatberry Salad with Olive Oil.
https://essentials.bertolli.com/olive-oil-recipes-simple-vegetarian-salads-with-extra-virgin-olive-oil/
Give it a try! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Making a bastardized Cobb today, with chicken, bacon, avocado, sharp cheddar and a Green Goddessish dressing (basil, dill, parsley, cilantro, green onion, capers, mayo)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bonappetit.com/recipe/green-goddess-salad/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bonappetit.com/recipe/green-goddess-cobb-salad/amp

3 Likes

We often have a composed salad plate made up of bits and pieces, raw and cooked, new and leftover, veg with and without meat,
Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 11.36.14 AM

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 11.42.50 AM

4 Likes

I haven’t tried to make this yet but saw it on local TV the other day and will have to soon. It’d be easy to sub crab or shrimp for the lobster if you like

2 Likes

Coincidental to this topic, by request, a main dish salad for dinner last night. Jerk rubbed grilled pork tenderloin over greens, cukes, confetti peppers, green onions, carrots. Toppings included, pineapple, mango, avocado, grilled jalapeño and bell peppers and peanuts. Forgot the cilantro & the baby greens went south. :smirk_cat: Made a tangerine curry vinaigrette with white balsamic, Dijon, zest, shallots, Aleppo pepper, thyme and basil. Really tasty. New jerk spice rub from T&C BVI.

3 Likes

Oh, company for dinner last night! DD2, SIL and their cats for us to pet sit this coming week. Hallie’s happy spot since arrival has been the ledge in DR - Annie, her litter mate makes herself scarce so far.

5 Likes

Cucumber and red onion salad . 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar. 1 /4 cup white sugar . 1/4 cup water. Slice some red onion . Put into the dressing .let pickle for a hour in the fridge. I like to use English cucumber. Peel , slice long ways and remove the seeds . Slice cross ways. Add to the dressing. Refrigerate another hour . There is the organic rice vinegar that I enjoy. Dont remember at the moment.

3 Likes

A couple times a summer I soak beans for sides served with pulled pork.

2 Likes

Definitely wonderful.

1 Like

I made a simplified riff on a Cobb last night:

romaine, sweet onion, hard boiled egg, gorgonzola, avocado, tomato, fresh basil, German salad seasoning (the one I am using right now is an herb & spice blend in a grinder, from Munich), oil and white balsamic. Will make it again. Didn’t miss the chicken or bacon.

I also make a bastardized Niçoise with asparagus instead of green beans during asparagus season (right now).

1 Like

Summer salads ( i eat a salad daily … adore ):

Fennel, blood orange slices, shallot, chive snipped or red onion, rocket field greens and radicchio … Aged balsamic and Italian Evoo.

Ventresca (albacore white tuna belly) in Spanish Evoo, walnuts, celery finely diced, shallot or sweet onion from Galicia or snipped chives and mayo …

Burrata with rocket and radicchio with red ripe tomato slices, fresh grown basil and aged balsamic and Italian evoo.

Mozzarella di bufala, fresh grown basil and radicchio with red ripe tomato slices and aged balsamic & italian evoo.

Hard boiled egg salad, snipped chives, diced finely celery and mayo …

Cherries soaked in Port or Cherry Liqueur from Valle de Jerte, Extremadura (cherry turf ) with fresh goat cheese and rocket (arugula or rucola ) and snipped chives and / or scallion …

Smoked salmon or gravlax with capers, cucumber, tomato, shallot or sweet onion or chives, a drizzle of evoo and a drizzle of young Rioja red vinegar (very light ).

Salad Niçoise / ventresca, spinach leaves, and the classic ingredients of the French Salad … hard boiled eggs, French green beans and French home made “bread croutons” … Champagne Vinegar and French Evoo.

Off top of head as we are in Madrid Capital with my parents …

Wonderful trip so far.

Lots of fun eating and retail therapy !

4 Likes
3 Likes

Tonight is leftover pasta salad with grilled Impossible Italian sausage, sautéed onions, Italian dressing. Also leftover couscous salad with fresh mozzarella, radish, onion, basil, balsamic vinaigrette, aged tomatoes.

3 Likes

Old thread… but as it has been bumped, I have to agree with the years old suggestions of cucumber, tomato, onion, with an amazing vinaigrette. And if you’re looking for something a bit more meal-worthy I love this Chinese chicken salad, or even more meal-worthy I love a good Cobb salad.

Edit: and of course a tostada bowl with all kinds of stuff (Chicken tinga/carnitas/carne asada, lettuce, beans, cheese, salsa, avocado, fresh lime, olives, etc.).

3 Likes

Your CCS sounds delicious.

1 Like
1 Like

Dumb question but - no oil in the chicken salad dressing?

Other than the fried noodles, not a drop.

I make a black bean and corn salad for summer get togethers. It has diced red pepper, red onion, carrot and avocado. It’s very colorful and popular - holds up well on a buffet. I season it with salt, pepper and cumin to taste then a generous amount of fresh lime juice - no oil whatsoever. I also add chopped cilantro but this is not necessary if your crew is adverse. Parsley works just as well…it’s especially good if you use fresh cooked corn cut from the cob.

5 Likes