Favorite sandwiches (SFBA)

Chuck’s Takeaway: C.P.’S NO. 3 -Vietnamese baguette, Pâté Maison, pork cha, chicken liver pâté, shallot mayo, soft herbs, cucumber, jalapeño.
Bread is great, high quality cold cuts and super fresh herbs. I ordered extra jalapeños but still could barely discern them. Agree with @mariacarmen that it needs the pickled veggies as a contrast, otherwise tastes a little flat, so I added the pickled cauliflower and peppers that come on the side. The cucumber is not pickled. They add 15% service charge so with tax $19.99 out the door. Its a good sandwich, but even if it was $8 I prefer Saigon Sandwich or Dinosaurs for boldness and complexity of flavors.

5 Likes

An old favorite (of mine), Lee’s Deli in San Francisco is closing its last two locations. They had freshly roasted turkey for sandwiches, and a big salad bar/Chinese food buffet.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2024/02/28/lees-deli-restaurant-financial-district-closes.html

3 Likes

When I used to work in SoMA and then the Financial District, Lee’s was one of my go-to places for lunches that didn’t break the bank. I especially liked their banh mi.

It’s painful to learn of family after family suffering as the Quans have.

1 Like

I’mm not a fan of the Local Kitchens chain (too many order screwups), but I just read that sandwiches from New Orleans’ Turkey and the Wolf are now available under the banner of Flavor Trippin’. Has anyone tried these? The mortadella one sounds promising…

1 Like

Saigon Sandwich- still so so good, and at $5.50 half the price of most around town.

5 Likes

For those in the Vallejo/Benicia area I highly recommend One House Bakery in Benicia. We go on a regular basis and our favorite sandwiches are the BLT and the Focaccia Salami Sandwich. Benicia is a quaint sleepy little town with art galleries and it’s fun to walk down 1st street down to the little pier with views of the Carquinez Strait. One Bakery is also known for it’s pastries which we have tried and are excellent.

2 Likes