Favorite sandwiches (SFBA)

Canyon bakes all their own bread (but they get bagels from House of Bagels). My Friday morning routine is to walk my dog down and buy a sourdough baguette for my daughter, they’re my favorite baguette in SF, grab one next time you are in.

I’m partial to the No. 23 - Salami and Coppa with balsamic vinaigrette, provolone, and olive tapenade on ciabatta (which used to be the No. 6 - their sandwich numbering system is a mystery to me).

5 Likes

Have you had the tuna melt? That’s a hard sandwich to find, much less a tasty one that doesn’t rely on canned tuna.

1 Like

No, but I do like tuna melts so will give it a try sometime.

1 Like

Reuben, Canyon Market. Really good, Canyon takes care to make their sandwiches right with high quality ingredients.

8 Likes

Where is Canyon Market?

Glen Park neighborhood, San Francisco

Be still my heart.

That’s a good looking Reuben.

Yeah they do it right, bread is toasted so it doesn’t get too soggy from the kraut which had a sharp tang to it, high quality Gruyère, melted, etc.

2 Likes

the banh mi at Charles Phan’s newest - Chuck’s Takeaway.

it’s pricey, but bread is spot on - made in-house, and all the meats were fresh and delicate. only thing missing for me on this were pickled carrots/daikon.

the chicken pate was my favorite part.

We also really liked the Japanese style egg sandwich:

Creamy but not too, beautiful orange-yolked eggs, and again, fresh, in-house made, pillowy bread.

I also tried Jo Jo’s Bollito last week - braised beef belly - incredibly tender, with a surprisingly spicy enough salsa verde. needed a touch of salt, but otherwise swoony in its extreme juiciness.

https://www.chuckstakeaway.com/menu

11 Likes

Dinosaurs, Ocean Ave SF
Shaking beef - so good

7 Likes

Look for this in your local supermarket… more than an order of magnitude better than canned tuna.

6 Likes

I want a real bar and grill type done on a flat top and broiler.
That is tasty tuna though.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Is a shawarma a sandwich? Lamb and beef shawarma, Shawarmaji, Oakland, CA.
This is “arabi style” - cut up and served with tahini and toum sauces, potato salad and house pickled veggies. I remembered to ask for hot sauce this time, the shawarma needs it for the richness. Toum and pickled veggies are boldly flavored, I like that they don’t dumb things down. Prices have gone up quite bit since I was last there (before Esquire named them one of 2021’s best new restaurants).

11 Likes

We were there just last weekend. I really like this style, which you don’t see often–a nice change from stuffing shwarma into a pita (which would definitely be a sandwich). And it’s tasty too. I think the prices are right in line with Uptown Oakland.

3 Likes

Yet another really good sandwich for my review of Chuck’s Takeaway - a meatball banh mi. I am a little confused as the description lead me to believe it was an Italian-style meatball sandwich (tomato sauce) but it’s clearly not, no tomato sauce in sight. It wasn’t necessarily a Vietnamese meatball sandwich either, tho leaning more towards that - scallion-y. In any case, the Mom’s pork meatballs were the most tender I’ve encountered, and the house-made baguette again was perfect. As with a couple of his other sandwiches, this could have used a touch more salt and/or heat, but still quite delicious. Pricey ($16, 15% service charge already added to the total) but super filling. With the Thai iced tea ($4), I’m sure I’ve eaten my calories for the day.

The tuna appears to be off the menu for now, replaced by a mackerel sandwich, but when I got there they said the fish hadn’t arrived yet. They’re also having trouble with their online ordering site, so I had to walk over and order in person - you can’t call, either - but the wait was only about 5-7 minutes.

Chuck's Takeaway - Meatball Sandwich

7 Likes

So just tax on top of the $16? I’m trying to figure out of I can get 4 or 5 banh mi from Saigon Sandwich for the price of one from Chuck’s :joy:.

1 Like

right. my lunch total was $24.99, including that service charge. definitely a splurge.

I’m sure you could but, you know, home made bread, fresh, local, organic, wild-caught seafood, pasture-raised poultry, meat without hormones, steroids, antibiotics blah blah blah does count for something, for many… sure doesn’t mean i won’t go to Saigon Sandwich, or Duc Loi, for that matter, again.

1 Like

I know, I’m definitely going to try it. Dinosaurs are $10/$11, so there is a wide range.

1 Like

I tried the shaking beef sandwich from the Castro Dinosaurs location and it’s definitely good enough that I’ll try to check out their other sandwiches if I happen to be near them. The description says the beef is sauteed with onions but it’s a pretty light touch if so - I don’t particularly care for onions and I didn’t notice any.

I wonder if Chuck’s has increased their sandwich size - the bahn mi I had from them the second day they were open was seriously maybe 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the one in Maria’s picture. On the other hand, I was told that the beef belly sandwich was good and very filling, so maybe I just got unlucky. I’m sure I’ll be back to try the other sandwiches at some point, but it’s hard to compete on value with Duc Loi. The Chuck’s version is tasty but it does kind of feel like a fine dining take on a bahn mi.

On a side note, I live very close to the commissary, but I had no idea it was Charles Phan’s place, or that his brother runs the upholstery shop next door. During the pandemic they were running some sort of food delivery service out of an unmarked side door (probably where Chuck’s is now) and there were an awful lot of confused delivery drivers milling around on the sidewalk trying to figure out where to pick up food in those days.

1 Like