Favorite potato recipes

What do you think goes into that prime rib seasoning? I’m sure it contains msg…

Who wudda thunk it?

Thanks, I will check it out. As I recall, no cream sauce, just the cheeses. Maybe it was gruyere instead of the swiss.

Yes and the Lawry’s has MSG (it never affected me).

Ees potyato.

3 Likes

Yes. I am not wild about it, except the shrimp.

1 Like

No, it was sea scallops, sliced thin, placed on abalone pounded to flatten both further, lightly dredged in flour and egg and seasoning, and pan fried. The melding of those two wonderful flavors was amazing.

6 Likes

Fiesta extra fancy Texas style steak seasoning with tenderizer is similar but IMO better. It is also a bargain, as are most Fiesta products. It has MSG and papaya. I love to par cook potatoes, make small cubes, toss them in a pan with some oil, and shake Fiesta seasoning all over them. After they are crisp they go into breakfast tacos or alongside the frijoles with huevos ranchero.

2 Likes

OK, the timing on that Serious Eats article is eerie. LOL (ETA: After scrolling through HALF of the list with pictures, I’m now jonesing for a big ol’ plate of crispy potatoes!)

3 Likes

I was obsessed with Patatas Bravas for close to a decade. I’d try versions every time I went out for tapas. I haven’t made them at home. https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/food-dining/2023/02/05/patatas-bravas-chef-jose-andres-shares-his-recipe-potato-dish/10888298002/

I also like causa

and Papa a La Huancaina.

Again, I order them, and haven’t made them at home.

2 Likes

They are INCREDIBLY simple to make at home. The last time I made them, it was, quite simply boiled baby yellow potatoes for 7 minutes, then drained and dried them in the still-hot pan over residual heat from my (admittedly crappy) electric coil stovetop.

I halved them, seasoned them with olive oil, sweet Hungarian paprika (no smoked Paprika in the house), and s/p, and into the convection oven to roast, brown, and crisp up.

The alioli was mayo (not traditional, but I was short on time), roasted garlic, lemon juice and s/p. Mixed that all together and squirted over the roasted potatoes in a small cazuela. From a post back in September 2020 when I was missing my favorite Spanish restaurant due to the pandemic.

6 Likes

Those look fab, but don’t patatas bravas also have a spicy (= brava) tomato sauce component, besides the aioli?

1 Like

I believe they are (see José Andres’ recipe linked by @Phoenikia. But they’ve also been served (to me) sans spicy tomato sauce - just the garlic alioli - where I go. So that’s the way I made them. (I’ll be having them this coming Friday, so can confirm how they serve them, as their menu DOES say “piquant tomato sauce and alioli”.)

2 Likes

Two sides of a coin here, in my experience. Firstly, yes, there’s always been a spicy tomato sauce. But I can’t recall them ever having aioli.

I like the idea of them having both, though.

3 Likes

But what is the AUTHENTIC VERSION? j/k. I’ve had bravas with spicy sauce and aioli on the side, aioli on top, no aioli… I’m guessing there are regional variants.

5 Likes

Ab and scallops? Divine!

1 Like

Hummm…that’s a good lead. I’ll check it out.

I have NOT made this.
In fact, I’ve never even heard of it but I’m all for trying this now.

Julia Turshen has a roasted version in Small Victories that also skips deep frying and is delicious. I remember making it during that COTM and beyond. Tasty quick cheaters sauce too!

https://www.foodgal.com/2016/08/kinda-sorta-patatas-bravas/

3 Likes

Yeah, deep frying isn’t my jam, but boiling and then convectioning works to get the crispys that I want!

1 Like