Favorite Pan for Tossing?

So, for Christmas dinner, I needed to pan toast a small number of hazelnuts. I grabbed a tiny skillet (a Miracle Maid). Totally sucked for tossing–the sidewall was just shaped wrong. Nuts went Pachinko-ing all over. Yesterday I made a breakfast hash with some steak dinner leftovers in a different pan, and that tossed beautifully. The second pan is not a favorite, but the curved sidewall launch angle pleasantly surprised me.

Do you have a favorite pan that you think excels at jumping ingredients in frying and saute? What’s the sidewall like? Is there a subtle difference in geometry that distinguishes that pan from others in this regard?

I have two Tramontina TriPly Clad skillets (8 and 10 inch) that are great for flipping and tossing…

1 Like

Wok

1 Like

I know my limits - no tossing, I stir and turn with a spatula. For toasted nuts I use the countertop oven and tray.

OK, anything besides a wok?

I’m interested in what people really like for tossing/jumping in lower-walled skillets and sautes.

Obviously, a wok is a good cookware for tossing. What I think is a good pan for tossing are two considerations: 1) the height and angle of the sidewall are very important, 2) the weight. A lighter weight pan is just much easier for tossing. These two can compensate enough each a little. If a pan is light, my waist and rotate/turn the pan more to compensate a certain lack of angle.

After my work, I would say my best tossing pan is the Made In carbon steel fry pan. It looks like this.

What makes this Made In pan better for tossing compared to my DeBuyer pan are the sidewall and also the lighter weight.

I bet this pan will be great for tossing. On the flip side, it is probably poor for a spatula to go in and get that fried egg or omelette.

it’s pretty simple.

in order to “toss stuff’ ala saute or “fried eggs” there is two requirement’s”

#1 - the stuff in the pan has to be loose / i.e. free to be tossed.
#2 - the pan has to have a rounded chine

Disagree about #2: Jumping started in straight-wall saute pans.

My BGH has a similar profile. Whenever I roast seeds/spices, that’s my jumper. I’d love to know who manufactured my BGH pot and pan. Used them for a long time.

How you like that handle? Looks cool, but also looks possibly fatiguing.

It was on sale and the store only has the Eiffel tower handle pans. You are right. It is not the most comfortable handle. However, it wasn’t painful or anything that bad.

By the way, I just did a search. These Eiffel tower handle De Buyer pans are being sold for high prices.

1 Like

My ideal pan to ‘jump/toss’ in is a frying pan with flared sides and not too low sides.

My current favourite pans for jump sauteing are my two De Buyer Inocuivre 24cm and 28 cm frying pans.

But I also like to jump sauté in my Mauviel M’Cook frying pans, my Falk 2.5 copper sauciers and my Demeyere Alu Pro frying pans.

My woks are also perfect for jump sautéing in - and for all jump sauté rookies my advice is to start to jump sauté in a wok until you get the hang of it. Wok’s are almost idiot proof to jump sauté in.

I do from time to time also jump sauté when I use my sauté pans - and in fact ‘sauté’ means to jump in French, so they have to be used for jumping/tossing back in the days by the pro chefs.

If I use one of my Demeyere Proline frying pans for high heat searing or one of my Zwilling Pro frying pans and want to use it for some veggies I also can jump sauté just fine with these pans, even though their shape is not absolutely perfect for jumping.

(post deleted by author)