Favorite New Recipes from 2022

I got the olive oil cake reference from you. It’s been a favorite at our house, as well.

I’ve been slowly ramping up the heat on the chicken diavolo by making a stronger and stronger chili oil. We like it more and more every time.

2 Likes

I didn’t make the chilli oil myself, given that I stock several, so maybe that was the shortfall.

Whole oranges, eh? Does your baker have a video of the technique? I LOVE this cake.

No, we don’t tend to film our cooking/baking activities. I also don’t know which recipe he uses, exactly. I’m sure a google search will bring it up.

I hope this one does it.

I love the ease of these cakes.

1 Like

The recipe we use cooks down whole oranges, but I’m sure the one you linked works just as well.

I know, but this had whole oranges. Sorry, this looked better than others to me.

This is the recipe I use:

This looks similar to what @DaBadger posted, in that it purees whole oranges in a blender. It doesn’t boil down whole oranges. I think I misunderstood what @linguafood posted, and would be interested in seeing that method too (boiling down whole oranges)

1 Like

I just made this and it’s getting added to my Faves of 2022 right the heck now.

2 Likes

I made this tonight and we liked it a lot.

I also will make these lamb meatballs again:

https://www.foodgal.com/2016/02/nopis-lamb-meatballs-with-warm-yogurt-and-swiss-chard/

And Cumberland sauce. I made it with Sherry instead of Port, and omitted the zest.

1 Like

My favourite recipes from 2022:

1. Baked Vegetable Samosas with Mango Chutney: These light and crispy samosas are stuffed with a savory mix of potatoes, carrots, and peas, and served with a zesty mango chutney.

2. Dal Makhani Fritters: These flavorful fritters are made from a combination of lentils, spices, and a luscious yogurt-based sauce.

3. Coconut-Curry Sweet Potato Fries: A healthier twist on a classic side dish, these oven-baked fries are made with sweet potatoes, a hint of curry, and a crunchy coconut coating.

4. Paneer Tikka Masala: A delicious combination of paneer cheese cubes, bell peppers, onions, and tomato sauce, this classic Indian dish is sure to please everyone.

5. Vegetable Biryani: A traditional one-pot dish packed with vegetables, spices, and aromatic Basmati rice, this veggie-filled biryani is sure to be a hit.

2 Likes

I didn’t cook a lot this year (or at least, not very many new dishes), but found a few real hits (the first two of which were from COTMs from previous years):

1. OVEN-ROASTED CHICKEN TIKKA (MURGH NA TIKKA), served with CHAAT SALAD and MINT CHUTNEY from MADE IN INDIA, Meera Sodha
    What a great combo - easy to make and such a delicious meal.

2. PORK SATAY with the CUCUMBER RELISH and EASY PEANUT SAUCE from SIMPLE THAI FOOD, Leela Punyaratabandhu
    I loved this one so much I made it several times, with pork and with chicken (preferred pork). I also found that I liked the easy sauce even better than the slightly more difficult version, which is a huge win.

3. TARTINE’S SOFT GLAZED GINGERBREAD
    What a great recipe - spicy and a delicious texture!

4. CRANBERRIES AND CREAM CHEESE DANISH from Baking for the Holidays by Sarah Kieffer (and also the CHEATER CROISSANT DOUGH it uses).
    I was convinced this recipe would be a huge failure, but we were wowed by these. such delicious filling and the croissant was nearly professional bakery quality!

6 Likes

That Tartine gingerbread recipe looks great - thanks for posting.

I found a link here:

1 Like

Yes, that’s the link I used! Sorry, should have added it. Highly recommend it - we liked it both with and without the glaze.

1 Like
3 Likes

Thanks for the link - bookmarked! I have tortellini to use up.

1 Like

Do you have a khachapuri recipe you could share?

I’ve got the dough proving in the fridge for pizza tomorrow — no 00 here, so I’m using a mix of local flours instead. Fingers crossed.

Could you paraphrase the curry one? I don’t have the subscription and I’m curious how different it is than when I bust out a fast Thai curry. I usually eyeball fish sauce, brown sugar, a curry paste - red recently - then a can of coconut milk. After it’s cooked and melded for a bit, I’ll add tofu and some type of veg or meat that I’ve usually pre-sautteed. Basil on top if I have it.

I haven’t tried them all, but NYT always knows it’s me, whether I’m icognito or not, and won’t let me in. Some of these sites I believe are more sophisticated and can tell the IP address you’re pinging them from.

1 Like

I thought I’d posted a gift link in my original comment - guess not. As a subscriber, I get to share 10 recipes per month, and repeat recipes are free :slight_smile:

FWIW, even for just the two of us I use the entire can of maesri curry paste. I often also add cod or shrimp and bok choy or red peppers to up the veg & protein content. I really love its versatility, and I love the flavors.

4 Likes