Favorite New Recipes 2023

Thanks for posting this. I’ve rarely met a version of peanut sauce noodles that I don’t like. I’ll have to try making these.

1 Like

I did substitute this Chamoy Sauce for his homemade chili oil/sauce. I also used chunky peanut butter, so pieces of peanuts were mixed in vs. on top.

My girlfriend doesn’t like food to be too spicy/hot. This sauce is milder (than his chili oil/sauce) and a bit more to her liking.

This is my version…

I found another version where I topped it with green onion (for some color)

5 Likes

That Mochiko Chicken looked tempting, but I rarely deep fry at home, and then TJs introduced karaage (which doesn’t help you on the GF front, but does feed into my laziness about deep frying) so that was that :joy:

2 Likes

It’s interesting to me how the texture of the noodle used really changes how this dish “tastes” – not the actual taste, of course, but maybe the overall “experience”?

1 Like

This was me this year too. Normally, between DOTQ, COTM, and inspiration from WFD and WMP among other places, I experiment a lot, but this was a year of mostly tried and true favorites.

Nice to see other people’s lists and be inspired for the new year!

1 Like

This sounds great! Will try with thighs. Would not have thought to combine ranch and sazon with taco seasoning.

I LOVE this dish, which we call “vagharelo bhaat” / tempered rice, but never think of it as a “recipe” to share, because much like Asian fried rice, it’s a last-minute leftover rice compilation.

We don’t load it quite as much as the recipe link, it’s usually a light meal – simple tempering of cumin and mustard seeds, curry leaves / karipatta, onion, sometimes a bit of minced garlic or grated ginger, and occasionally broken cashews or peanuts (fried with the tempering).

I’d wager that you would also enjoy tomato rice, lemon rice, and tamarind rice – same idea, with various additional flavorings to amp it up.

4 Likes

I made the Mochiko chicken also, and we both found it “meh”. It was fine and all was eaten, but outta site, outta mind.

2 Likes

It’s a salt bomb but lots of umami, of course. Be sure to cook to shreddability. It’s pretty good cold, actually!

2 Likes

Definitely! They sound good.

I asked my girlfriend what her favorite new recipe was and her response was Mayo/Cheddar boneless/skinless chicken thighs. This is a very easy recipe. Mix some shredded cheddar cheese with mayonnaise, sprinkle in a dash of garlic powder, coat the thighs with the mixture and bake at 400(F) until 165 (F) internal.

Simple and easy!!

7 Likes

Yes, though I shallow-fried the mochiko and it still made such a mess…

1 Like

Always look forward to these threads! Here are our threepeats from 2023:
https://food52.com/recipes/87478-crispy-yangnyeom-chickpeas-with-caramelized-honey-recipe-e -
I was on a bender of making these in the early part of last year. They were a nice addition to a korean taco night.

https://www.thekitchn.com/brussel-sprouts-melts-recipe-23432384 - This sandwich is just delicious and I crave it every few weeks.

https://pinchofyum.com/chicken-wontons-in-spicy-chili-sauce - we’ve made this with a variety of different dumplings including TJs vegetable gyoza and Aldi’s GF vegetarian dumplings. I bought some handmade dumplings for my husband for Christmas and we will probably give them this treatment. There’s plenty of flexibility with this recipe. I don’t always use chili crisp - I substitute red pepper flake, sriracha, etc. I just made them for my brother and he thought it tasted like restaurant quality. I’ve found using the lower sodium teriyaki and my BTB veg bouillon a little more diluted that I’d use in soup the way to go.

This is comforting and perfectly spiced for us and has become an Indian staple in our rotation.

https://www.thekitchn.com/braised-cauliflower-and-white-bean-piccata-recipe-23513333
I am a vegetarian and my husband is not, and this has been a hit for both of us. It’s easy for week nights, has protein and is warm and cozy during the winter but still light enough in the warmer weather.

https://food52.com/recipes/88682-tahini-pistachio-granola-from-jenne-claiborne - I always make a riff on Stella Park’s granola for gifting but wanted to use up a glut of tahini I had on hand . I used date syrup, added a bit extra salt. I made back to back batches.

Thanks to this thread the gochujang noodles are now a threepeat for us! It inspired me to finally use the shelf-table, no cook Thai wheat noodles from TJs that had been languishing on my shelf. They are very good in this application.

Thank you for the inspiration you all provide throughout the year! Hope you all have a happy and healthy 2024!

10 Likes

Oh boy, I found a few other wonderful recipes on his thread!

2 Likes

Thanks, Nanny. Good read. Might have to try this one.

1 Like

I’m on the same page, Dan. I’ve been dying to find noodles with high egg content to provide that “springy” nature. Do, I’m going to make the PB Chili oil noodles with these noodles specifically. I’m so addicted to the Thai nam yang noodles, I can’t stand it. I find the noodles for $2 at a larger grocery store (Woodman’s). Can’t live without 'em now.

3 Likes

Thanks for this detailed report!

1 Like

I’ve never had a fail with it, in fact, planning on mixing up a batch now. Give it a try, you won’t be disappointed!

Have you tried the baking soda trick with regular pasta?

As I picked up I Dream of Dinner (so you don’t have to) to look at tonight’s new-to-me recipe, I realized that there are quite a few recipes in it that I’ve made over and over this year. Doesn’t hurt that she has a huge bean chapter. One caveat is that she really underspices things to my taste, but that is easy enough to fix. Things we have loved and repeated include:

One Pan Chicken Piccata and Orzo. I always add a bag of washed baby spinach, suddenly a meal in one! Lulu has suggested that I use a can of white beans in place of the chicken when her Dad isn’t around, and I think that is going to work brilliantly.

Salumi Butter Rigatoni. I found a turkey salami at TJs and have made this multiple times since. Easy and delicious.

Cumin Beans with Tomatillo. Instead of wedges, I cut the tomatillo into bite sized pieces, give each of us a bowl, and serve with tortilla chips on the side.

Turmeric-Dill Rice and Chickpeas. So good. I use half cumin, half coriander. For the tahini sauce, I use much less water, more lemon, and grate in a clove of garlic.

There are plenty more things that I have made and thoroughly enjoyed, just not repeated as often, and lots of things I still haven’t tried but want to. Another note - her portion sizes are insanely small on most of the things I’ve made.

8 Likes

Great list!

The Brussels sprouts melts reminded me of Smitten’s broccoli melts (which are also an effective use of leftover or frozen broccoli) if you haven’t tried them yet.

Yum on the dumplings!

My dad loved maash / urad dal made simply like your link (so the grains were still separate) – it was the usual accompaniment to homemade kababs.

Between your rec for bean Piccata and @LulusMom1’s, I’m going to have to try it in 2024!

4 Likes