Favorite Long Branch spots [NJ]

Oh no! When they moved it up a week they must have switched to Saturday too. That stinks. It was one of the few events I could make it to on the weekend.
Thanks for the heads up.

No problem, we have a conflict too, but I’m still going to run in for my hat!! Can’t let a year go by without my Haskell hat!!!

1 Like

It’s going to be too damn hot to be out there anyway…

1 Like

Ha! My neighbor works at the track. She was giving out 2017 Haskell hats the other day…If you don’t make it, I can ask her for you…

Have you tried fruta loca?

Those are going to be some hot horses tomorrow

A lot of people have been calling to encourage them to postpone the race.

NY racing canceled all racing this weekend, PETA has petitioned Monmouth to cancel the Haskell. My guess would be that 30% of the tracks attendance revenue for the year is made at the Haskell, as wrong as it is I don’t see them risking the revenue loss by canceling. (for the record I will be going to pick up my hat and leaving)

1 Like

I walked by the other day and looked good. My problem is that I’m more of a savory guy. Just switched laundromats so not sure if I will get to try anytime soon. Need to quit my night job and try all of these places.

1 Like

I trust the horsemen to do the right thing. Took until around now (10pm) to cool down tonight though.

1 Like

Today we made it to El Rincon de la Costa. Salsas top notch.
Girlfriend loved her fried fish and I tried the Carne Enchilada and Molcajete. Great flavor on both meat dishes. Washed it down with a Coke Hecho In Mexico. All three dishes and beverages, $55. Will return.

5 Likes

Somebody at work often brings in pastries from Caputo’s bakery. Nobody complains :slight_smile:

1 Like

We got the meat molcajete today. That was a lot of food!

5 Likes

Ps, that strawberry shake is 5 bucks…not bad for the size and taste. In fact, it was very good if you don’t mind sipping out of the plastic container lol. Next time I’m bringing some rum with me.

2 Likes

That is good stuff. Takes a while to reach the bottom. Looks a bit different but I suppose that depends on the cook. I liked this one a bit better than Rincon. The chips and salsa are very good, as well, for while you wait.
Still hooked on the green tamales, chicken coxhinos and ham/cheese croquettes at Long Branch Convenience.

1 Like

That shake looks comically large!!! Bourbon might be good too?

So I had chicken for lunch yesterday and a small piece of pork and for “brunch” today I had pork and some steak. So that is 4 meals total and I still have some steak left. Not a bad deal.

@gracieggg bourbon could work but I was thinking more of a daiquiri with the strawberry. 32oz shake = : )

5 Likes

I thought I would check some other convenience stores to see what they had in their warmer.
Found some better tamales on Broadway at Grande Marketa between Por do Sol and the gas station. They are way less greasy, larger and bring much more heat.
I am partial to the Green, made with chicken thigh and a green sauce/paste. The Rayas has cheese and a strip of hot pepper. This one is a little drier, but filling and delicious. I tried the pork but it had large pieces of fat that were a turnoff. May try it again though, along with the Red with Chicken.
Long Branch c-store tamales, it’s whats for breakfast.

3 Likes

I love your tamale adventures!

The pork one with too much fat, which market was that at?

1 Like

@joonjoon asking for a friend? :rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like